36

Ashton's POV:

I don't want Sage to interrogate the kid who showed up on our pack grounds. Not because I don't trust my mate; I trust Sage more than anyone and I know he'd be successful and composed in any setting. However, the kid is an Alpha with an aggressive attitude and I don't want my mate near that.

Not because he's an Omega, but because he's pregnant and I don't want an aggressive young Alpha to attack him if he gets upset or feels that fighting Sage to escape.

Now, I know that Sage can hold his own and can kick anyone's ass in a fight, but he's pregnant! He's had difficulty moving quickly and it's irritating to him, but it's what it is for the next couple of months.

"Someone less intimidating needs to talk to him," Sage argues, crossing his arms and glaring at me. "I am completely capable of a light interrogation. We shouldn't be keeping the poor kid locked in a spare room."

"I can talk to him," I say, sitting down on the bed next to my mate, but he doesn't let me touch him and instead scoots further away. "I'm not intimidating. Well, as intimidating as Ronaldo or Zach."

He sighs in deep irritation, giving me an annoyed side eye. "True... but I think I'm way less intimidating simply because Alphas are seldom afraid of Omegas at first glance."

"Sage, you can't really prove you're dangerous right now or really easily protect yourself. What about the pups? You can't even run!" I exclaim, making his glare harder at me but he knows I'm right so he doesn't snap back. "At least let us go together... I'll stay by the wall and you can do all the talking. Besides, as the Luna, aren't I supposed to be part of these kind of things?"

Sage takes a deep breath, pinching the bridge of his nose. "That's true... I'm just worried about crowding him or you getting overprotective while we're in there."

"I won't be, I promise. Unless he attacks you or-"

Sage cuts me off. "Let's hope it doesn't get there. Now come on."

I grab my mate's hand and follow him to the room where Ronaldo is irritably pacing, a firm scowl on his face. When he sees us, he forces a tight lipped smile before resuming his growling and pacing.

"We're going in there to speak with him," I say, and Ronaldo huffs.

"I'm perfectly-"

"No, you're not," Sage cuts off, making our friend fall silent. "Not with the way you're pacing and growling right now. Go on a run to let off some steam."

Ronaldo looks like he wants to fight with his jaw quivering and eyes narrow, but he doesn't say anything besides a mumbled "yes, Alpha" as he stalks away.

Sage opens the door to the office and we find the kid sitting on the floor, the entire office destroyed.

Papers are everywhere and I cringe as I see all of mine and Zach's hard work on the floor. The desks are turned over and there's scratches all over the wall, but it doesn't look like he was trying to escape because the window isn't broken.

I grab one of the chairs that's been thrown across the room and set it down for Sage.

"Is he going to continue to pace outside the door?" the kid asks, nodding to the entrance. "His scent isn't as strong anymore."

Sage leans back, wincing a little. "No, I sent him on a run. I'm sorry if he caused you any stress, but I can't let an unknown wolf wander around our pack before I know where they came from."

He looks Sage up and down. "Is that your decision to make?" His eyes shift to me. "Isn't it his?"

"No, I'm the Alpha of this pack, and this is my mate and Luna," Sage says smoothly, not upset by the confusion.