Varsity Blues.

So here we were. Senior prom. Sue was happily dancing with Darrin and I was waiting on Axl to show up. A lot had happened this year. Including Sue and I learning to drive and her backing over Axl's foot with the car, causing him to meet a girl and us to ultimately break up.... They didn't last long though and for some reason he came running back. You'd think I'd be strong enough to let it go, but I let him back in because like I said before I'd been in love with the man since I was six years old.

I turned 18 finally too. Axl said wouldn't it be cool if we went to the same college and we could live together when I got out there. So that's what I'm working on right now... If he shows up anyways. We got in a pretty big fight a few days ago and I haven't really talked to him much since.

I just wanted to kiss and makeup so bad already but the prom had been going for nearly an hour and he still wasn't here.

"Hey, there, kid!" I heard a familiar voice from behind me. Unfortunately it wasn't the voice I had wanted to hear. "Sue called and said someone needed a dance partner! So here I am!"

"Hey, Sean!" I smiled.

"Let's go have some fun." He took my hand and led me to the dance floor and we hung out and danced and laughed all night. I honestly think it was the most fun I'd had in awhile...

***

As we walked out of the dance together Sean offered me a ride home. I let Sue know and then I hopped in the passengers side of Sean's car and we took off.

"So you hungry? We could hit burger barn." Sean suggested.

The memories of last prom came flooding to my mind. All the memories of the dates and fun times Axl and I had there. It made me really sad that all that may have been over. Maybe even for good.

"You know. I'm okay, but thanks for asking." I smiled. "I think I'm just ready to go on home now."

"Yeah. All worn out from the dancing and the fun stuff." Sean grinned.

"Something like that." I nodded.

We rode the rest of the ride in near silence. The radio kept playing these stupid songs that kept reminding me of Axl and I sat and tried to process was this all really over? Why didn't he show up? Did he want to go back to what's her face?

Sean pulled up in front of the Heck house and that's when I couldn't hold it in anymore. I burst into tears.

"Oh no! No... Um it's okay.. here." Sean fumbled around finally grabbing his handkerchief out of his tux pocket and handed it to me. "What's wrong?"

"I think Axl and I are broken up for real this time. I really miss him, but I can't stop thinking about him. Everything reminds me of him..." I sobbed.

"Well, I'm sorry. That really stinks." Sean said gently resting a hand on my shoulder.

"And then I'm in front of his house and like all I can think about is all the times we had here." I whimpered.

"See though now you get to have new times here... Or over there." He pointed towards my house. "And you and Sue are still friends! And I'm sure Frankie and Mike still like you too."