Chapter 4: Adventures on the Sound

Madeline's POV:
I didn't know what to expect as Charles asked me to accompany him this evening, but I was certainly curious to say the least, so I waited until Robert was fast asleep before sneaking out to meet him.

"So, now that I'm here.. would you mind telling me where we're going?" I asked.

"You'll see.. it's a surprise," he whispered.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Alright, but you should know I often hate surprises, Mr. Milton," I giggled.

"Trust me, Mrs. Scotts.. you'll love this one."

I was still unsure, but the look in his eyes made it seem worthwhile enough. Perhaps I should give it a chance.. I thought.

"Now, Madeline, I know you're not one who seems to get out much.." he began.

Not that I wouldn't love to.

"But I thought I'd show you around some of my favorite spots in the city.. if you'd be so kind as to join me for a short train ride, I'd be honored to show you the place where I grew up. It's actually not far from here," he said.

I nodded slowly, cautiously following behind him. I knew that I'd be in serious trouble if Robert ever found out, but I must admit I was curious to know more about Charles's past, so I went along anyway.

"Oh, alright.." I whispered. "But you must promise to have me back home before dawn."

He nodded slowly, lifting my hand to his lips and kissing my knuckles softly. "As you wish."

We took the train through downtown Manhattan into the Long Island Sound. Charles was kind enough to point out all the major landmarks along the bay, his brown eyes sparkling as he wove brilliant tales of his childhood growing up there.

"Charles.. it's lovely," I whispered. "Do you ever miss it, you know.. being out on tour and all?"

He nodded slowly. "Well yes, even though I haven't been on tour in quite some time now. Prohibition has really put a damper on my ability to book gigs. If it wasn't for your husband, I'd probably be living on the streets.." he muttered.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "I thought you said you made enough money to keep your place.."

"I do.. and I'm very lucky. Most of my friends in the industry have lost everything because of prohibition," he said. "But money's still tight, especially now that I'm having to pay for my entire divorce."

"Divorce? I'm sorry, I didn't know you were married. I just assumed.."

"It's okay, really. We were both young and ignorant. We thought we were ready for a lifelong commitment, but once I discovered her gambling problem.. I quickly found out that wasn't the case," he said. His eyes fell to the floor as he began nervously fiddling with the sleeves of his coat.

"It's okay.." I whispered. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I know what it's like to have a partner who isn't exactly how they seem.."

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked nervously.

I nodded slowly. "I never truly loved him.." I muttered. "And he doesn't love me in return, but I can't get out.. I'm trapped."

"Why?" he asked. "Why is he doing this to you, especially if he doesn't really love you?"

I sighed heavily. "It's complicated.. he knows something, a dark secret from my past, and he uses it to his advantage."

"So you're saying he blackmailed you into marriage? I don't understand.. what could you have possibly done that's bad enough for him to do something like that? As far as I'm concerned you're an angel," he whispered.

"I'd really rather not talk about it right now, if that's okay.." I muttered.

"Of course.. I don't want to make you uncomfortable. You can tell me when you're ready."

I smiled softly. "Thank you. That means a lot."

He nodded slowly. "But for now, why don't we do something to take your mind off of things.. dance with me?"

I nodded slowly, giggling as he took my hand and pulled me out into the street. "What if I'd told you I didn't dance?" I laughed.

"I would've said you're lying, because I saw the way you danced the night we met."

I laughed as he pulled me close, spinning me along the path. He was an amazing dancer, much better than I'd ever expected him to be.

Robert never cared much for dancing. He was a rather serious man, caring more about his business than having fun. But with Charles, it was different.

For the first time in my life, I felt alive. I felt free, I  felt loved.. and before I knew what was happening, he'd leaned into kiss me.

I knew it was wrong, but I didn't pull away. I needed this much more than I'd ever admit.

So this is what true love feels like?

It felt like I was walking on air, and I couldn't ask for anything more.