Chapter 11: To Save the Man I Love

Madeline's POV:
Everything happened so fast. In an instant, Robert had drawn his dagger. The blade pierced Charles' skin before I even knew what was happening.

I heard him scream, and I knew then that he was dying. I had to act fast, but I knew I couldn't do anything.. not as long as I was bound in chains.

"Robert, you have to stop this!" I shouted. "Please! You have to help him. Can't you see he's dying?"

"Good riddance," he muttered.

"How can you say that?" I asked. "He was only trying to help me after everything you did."

"Oh, bullshit Madeline. I know what he's really here for.. we both do. He's here so he can try to take you away from me again," he muttered. "Well, this is the last time. I'm not gonna let him get away with this."

"At least he actually loves me!" I shouted. "And he knows how to treat a woman with the respect she deserves! That's a whole hell of a lot more than I can say for you!"

His eyes were dark and cold as he stomped towards me, slapping me hard across the face. "Dammit woman! Can't you see he's got you brainwashed? He doesn't actually love you. He only wants you because you're young, beautiful and rich!"

"That's absolute bullshit, and you know it!" I yelled. "But you're so blindsided by rage and jealousy, you can't even see what true love is anymore!"

Charles was losing more and more blood by the minute. I knew I had to do something quickly before he bled to death. "Come on, Robert. If you won't take him to the hospital, at least help me get him upstairs to the guest room," I said. "I guess I'll have to doctor him myself."

His eyes widened. "Madeline, are you out of your goddamn mind? My answer is no. I'm not going to help you save his life, not after everything he's done to you.. to both of us. Fools like him are better off dead anyway."

I stared at him in disbelief. "Fine, if you won't help me, then I'll do it myself," I said. "Now, get out of my way so I can get him upstairs. I have to act fast.. he's running out of time."

He stared at me in disbelief as I shoved him out of the way as I dragged Charles' unconscious, almost lifeless body up the basement stairs.

"Maryanne, fetch me the first aid kit and get the doctor on the phone. Tell him it's a matter of life and death," I said. "Now hurry! He's not gonna make it if we wait much longer.."

She nodded slowly, rushing into the kitchen. I struggled to drag Charles upstairs to the guest room, his thick red blood now covering my hands each time I moved.

He was losing blood fast, and I began to worry that he might not make it out of this alive.

Maryanne informed me that the doctor was coming as soon as he could, but I was still worried it might not be enough.

"Charles.. you have to stay with me, okay? Stay alive.." I whispered. "Please don't leave me." His eyes were glossed over as he held my hand.

I kept my other hand directly on the wound, trying desperately to build enough pressure to slow the bleeding. But even with the knowledge I learned from my mother when she served as a nurse in the war, I was still trying not to panic.

The sheets were stained with blood as the doctor burst into the room. "What the hell happened?" he asked nervously.

"He.. he got stabbed," I muttered. "Robert was trying to kill him."

"Why would he do that? I've known Robert since he was just a little boy.. he's many things, but he's not a murderer.."

"I know he tried to kill him, why won't you believe me?" I asked nervously. "He's been driven mad by jealousy."

Charles was losing even more blood by the minute. "Please.. you have to help him! I can't lose him!" I begged.

He nodded slowly. "Alright let me see what we're dealing with," he whispered.

I nodded slowly, moving my bloodstained hand away from the wound.

"He's losing even more blood by the minute," the doctor said. "If there's any hope of saving him, I'll have to work fast.."

I nodded slowly, watching him carefully as he began his work. Charles was still unconscious, but he kept squeezing my hand even tighter in his sleep.

Stay alive..

I could feel his heartbeat slowing down, almost stopping as the doctor continued his work. I knew he was running out of time. He was dying.

The tears clouded my vision as I thought about even the slightest possibility that he might not make it out alive. And it was all because of Robert's jealous and possessive behavior.

My heart was pounding out of my chest as I watched the doctor work. I kept praying it wasn't too late.

Stay alive..

After what felt like hours, the doctor stopped working. But Charles was still unconscious.

"So.. how is he?" I asked nervously. "Is he going to be alright?"

The doctor nodded slowly. "Yes. Unfortunately he suffered injuries that are too severe for me to treat during a house call, but he's stable," he said. "I'll have him transported to the hospital as soon as I can and keep working from there, but I'm sure he'll be fine."

"So you're saying he's gonna live?" I asked.

He nodded slowly. "Yes."