Chapter 14: Unplanned Miracle

Madeline's POV:
I'd tried to hide my pregnancy from everyone, including Charles. I knew what would happen if everyone found out, especially Robert.

I'd be disgraced, forever known as a whore. And the child.. the child would never be respected in the way they deserved. Born out of wedlock and infidelity, they would grow up seen as nothing but a bastard.

But I soon realized that I could hide the truth no longer. "Charles.. I'm pregnant," I whispered. "And you're the father.."

His eyes widened. "How long have you known?"

"About a month or so.." I muttered.

"Madeline, you should've told me," he said.

"I couldn't.. you know how the entire town of Manhattan feels about our affair," I said. "And if Robert ever found out.. I could never forgive myself if something happened to you or the baby. Please, Charles.. you have to know I was only trying to protect you."

"You should've told me.." he repeated.

"I'm not sorry.. I knew I had to do what was best for you, what was best for our child.. and right now, I think it's best if we just kept this a secret.."

"Yeah, for now maybe.. but what happens in a few months when you start to show? Robert will know it's not his, and then what?" he asked. "I can't lose you, Madeline. You know how much I care for you."

"Then what do you want me to do, Charles? The divorce proceedings won't start for at least another week and who knows how long after that it'll take to get everything finalized.. face it, Charles. We just can't be together.." I muttered. "I'm sorry."

"Don't talk like that, okay? I'm not giving up on you, I'm not giving up on us. I told you I'd wait forever, and I meant it. I'll wait as long as it takes, my love.." he whispered.

"No, I could never ask you to do that.."

"You're not asking me, Madeline. I'm doing this because I love you, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes," he said. "But you need to at least tell Robert what's going on.. and the sooner you do it, the better it'll be for everyone."

I nodded slowly. "Perhaps you're right.."

"So.. are you planning to keep it?" he asked. "The baby, I mean."

"Of course I am," I said. "I could never live with myself knowing that I willingly took the life of an unborn child."

He nodded slowly. "So you want us to raise this child together?" he asked nervously. "Madeline, are you sure about this?"

Before I could respond, there was a knock at the door. Robert stood on the other side, a bouquet of a dozen roses in his hand.

"What do you want?" Charles asked.

"I came to speak with Madeline.. I brought flowers."

I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, Robert? After everything you've done, all the pain you've caused me.. and you think you can fix this with flowers?" I asked. "We're over, and that's final."

"Okay, I guess I deserved that. But Madeline.. please just hear me out. Please.. that's all I ask," he said.

"I'm not interested in anything you have to say."

"Please, I know I made a mistake.. but you're not exactly innocent either, Madeline. You fucking cheated on me.. multiple times, and now you're choosing your lover over me?" he asked.

"No, Robert. I'm choosing the man I love over you. I'm choosing my unborn child over you.."

His eyes widened as he took a step back. "I'm sorry.. what did you just say?"

"I said I'm pregnant, Robert. With Charles' child."

His eyes darkened as he moved towards me, slapping me hard across the face. "You fucking whore! Have you even thought about what this might do to me, to my reputation?" he asked.

"Your reputation? I'll be disgraced if anyone else finds out, and so will my child. They'll call it a bastard.." I muttered. "And seeing as how we're getting a divorce, I really don't see how this is any of your business."

"Because, Madeline.. until the divorce is finalized you're still my wife, and this child will be born as a result of your infidelity. You obviously didn't think this through enough.."

I sighed heavily. "This wasn't planned, Robert. Neither of us ever expected for this to happen, but it's out of our hands now.. and in nine months the baby will be here, wether you like it or not."

"Not if you get rid of it," he muttered.

My eyes widened. "Robert.. are you seriously asking me to consider getting an abortion?" I asked.

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"Unbelievable," I muttered. "My answer is no, Robert. I won't be responsible for the death of my unborn child, and I won't deny Charles the chance to meet his own flesh and blood."

"But as far as the court is concerned, you and I are still husband and wife, and you said it yourself.. you'll be disgraced if anyone else finds out," he said. "Think about everything you'd be throwing away."

"I don't give a damn, Robert! I love Charles with all my heart, and he and I plan to raise our child together.. with or without your blessing."