Chapter 17: To Raise A Daughter

Madeline's POV:
No one ever said parenthood would be easy, but I never expected it to be this difficult. The nighttime feedings were taking quite a toll on both Charles and I, and the constant fighting with Robert over the divorce proceedings didn't make things any easier.

But Charles was an absolute angel, often taking late night shifts so as not to disrupt my sleeping schedule any more than it already had been. He took great care in caring for us both, loving our little family with all his heart.

"Darling.. are you sure you're feeling alright?" he asked nervously as I sat at the kitchen table early one morning, pouring over the seemingly never ending piles of divorce paperwork.

He could tell I was stressed, and I knew he was only trying to help, but the divorce proceedings had me so stressed out that I often found myself lashing out at him for no apparent reason, and the post pregnancy mood swings certainly didn't help.

"Yes, Charles.. I'm fine," I answered shortly, clearly annoyed at the amount of paperwork that now littered the table. "Please.. just leave me alone."

He sighed heavily, moving across the kitchen, our newborn daughter cradled safely in his arms, to sit next to me at the table. "This whole divorce process is really taking its toll on you, isn't it?" he asked.

"Is it that obvious?"

"I'd be lying if I said I hadn't noticed," he whispered. "What's troubling you, darling? You know you can always tell me anything."

I sighed heavily, knowing he could see right through me. He already knew how I was feeling, and he was willing to do whatever it took to help me.

"Is there anything I can do to help you?" Charles asked. "Do you need anything?"

The baby was crying and he tried his best to calm her down, gently whispering to her.

My heart warmed at the sight of him whispering sweet nothings to our newborn daughter as he gently rocked her back and forth, trying his best to silence her strangled cries.

"Hush now, little Rose," he whispered. "Daddy's here.. daddy's got you."

"She's really lucky to have a father like you, Charles. You're so good with her," I said.

He nodded slowly. "She deserves the world.. as do you, my angel. And I promise.. I will do whatever it takes to keep you both satisfied."

My heart melted the moment the words escaped his lips, followed by that signature crooked grin I'd grown so accustomed to. The very same crooked grin he flashed the first time we met.

"What would I do without you?" I asked softly.

"Well for one thing, you'd still be trapped in that sham of a marriage, and forced to live a life without adventure," he laughed. "So I think it's safe to say I saved you from a life of boredom. You're welcome."

I rolled my eyes playfully before taking little Rose in my arms, rocking her gently as I sang softly to her.

"So, I don't mean to pry.. but there isn't any way we'll know for sure when the divorce process is complete, is there?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I'm afraid not. They say no one ever knows for certain. All we can do is hope it's soon," I muttered. "But we both know Robert won't go down without a fight."

"So what? Let him fight.. I'm not worried," he said confidently. "Because no matter what happens, I know you're mine. We were meant to be together, and nothing could ever change that."

I sighed heavily. "I love you," I whispered. "And I can't wait to spend the rest of our lives together."

He nodded slowly. "Neither can I."

I couldn't believe it. Never in my life had I been so happy, nor had I felt so safe and loved. For the first time in my life, it felt like everything was going to be alright.

Or at least, that's what we thought anyway.

But nothing could've prepared us for what unspeakable horror was yet to come..