Chapter 9: Toxic Love Affair

Madeline's POV:
Anastasia made good on her promise, because as soon as I returned home, I found Robert waiting for me. "Come here.." he whispered.

I gulped nervously as I slowly moved towards him, squeezing my eyes shut as I waited for the moment he'd strike, but he didn't.

"Now.. would you mind telling me where you've been all night?" he asked. "And just so you know, I want to hear it from you, but I already know the truth.. so don't even think about lying."

"I was out.." I muttered. "With a friend."

"Madeline Rose," he warned. "We both know he's more than just a friend."

I rolled my eyes. "What else do you want me to say, Robert? That he's my lover? We both know you're way too jealous.. that wouldn't go over well," I muttered.

"Goddammit Madeline! That's because you're MY wife! You belong to me!" he shouted. "Until death shall we part.. which might come a lot sooner than you think.."

I struggled from his grip, absolutely terrified. "What are you planning?" I asked. "We both know you wouldn't actually kill me.. that would mean giving up control."

"Yes, that's true.. but something must be done about this. I won't have you running off into the arms of another man, not when you belong to me."

"At least Charles actually loves me!" I shouted.

His eyes narrowed. "What did you just say?"

"I said at least he loves me," I repeated. "Which is a lot more than I can say for you."

His eyes grew darker as he stormed towards me, grabbing me by the throat and forcing me to the ground. "You fucking whore!" he shouted. "I tell you I love you all the time, but apparently that's not enough for you.. you ungrateful bitch!"

"You're a filthy liar! You've never told me you loved me, not even once!" I yelled. "And I think it's pretty obvious all you care about is my body."

The punches flew before I could even blink. He had me pinned to the ground, beating me senseless, which was nothing new of course. I was used to it.

With each hit came a new wave of pain that I tried my best to ignore, but it just kept getting worse. I kept praying for Charles to come and save me, but I knew he couldn't. He had no idea what was happening.

After he'd grown tired of beating me, he forced me back onto my feet, shoving me back against the bed as he left the room. He returned only minutes later with a bundle of heavy looking chains, locking one around each of my wrist and ankles.

He pulled me to my feet again, only this time it was much harder for me to stand on my own due to the heavy chains around my ankles.

I kept my eyes on the floor as he led me into the basement, shoving me down the stairs and into the small makeshift bedroom.

It had no windows and only one working door, but I was lucky enough to even get a bed to sleep on.

"Now.. you shall stay down here until I am satisfied with your punishment. The maids will bring you food and water twice a day, but until then.. I will have the only key," he spat. "Goodbye Madeline."

Before I could say anything else he was gone, locking the door behind him. I was trapped.

So I guess this is my life now, huh? Ha! Welcome to the Pit of Despair! Don't even think about trying to escape.. the chains are far to thick. And no dream of being rescued either, only Robert and the maids have the key to get in and out. It was hopeless.

Charles's POV:
As I settled in for bed, Madeline once again crossed my mind. Knowing that she was now back with Robert across the bay, no doubt being beaten and tortured until she was black and blue, it truly broke my heart.

And yet, even though she was so far away, I hoped she could hear me singing to her from my window, that it would travel across the bay and land just perfectly in her affectionate and loving heart.

"Goodnight, my love," I sang softly. "Pleasant dreams, sleep tight, my love. May tomorrow be sunny and bright.. and bring you closer to me."

Madeline's POV:
In an instant, my head began to spin, my heart beating fast as my breathing began to quicken. I knew what was happening.. I was having an anxiety attack, a bad one from the looks of it..

I think I'm drowning.. asphyxiated. I wanna break this spell that you've created.

I knew I didn't deserve this. I'd been blackmailed and trapped in a loveless marriage with no way out in sight. How did it come to this?

I tried calling for help, but apparently no one could hear me. The walls were razor thin, but no one seemed to be listening, especially not Robert.

Robert. This was all his fault! He did this to me, and there was no telling how long he'd be willing to keep me locked down here. But I knew he'd show no mercy, and no amount of begging and pleading would ever change his mind.

I sighed heavily. I guess now it was official. Robert Scotts would be the death of me.