28: I Mean... They Tried

Soleil knew she wasn't the only person who was affected by the last talk she had with Kaeya and she knew she was right.

The man himself was a little out of himself but only a few noticed because of his misleading facades.

However, duty calls and he still continues with his work. But he gets too preoccupied with his thoughts sometimes.

Kaeya stared out the window with a slightly sour look on his face. He was thinking about a lot of things.

Why did he get upset that time? It's just as Soleil said. She was just completing a mission that he recommended her for personally.

Was it because Soleil didn't fuss over it very much? Hmph. That wasn't a surprise. Soleil doesn't complain and just gets her tasks done.

Yeah... That's probably why. He didn't like how Soleil just takes whatever was given to her and thinks she doesn't have a say in it.

For all of the Archons' sake, she just let that irksome nobleman get touchy with her. She may have played along, but he knew she didn't like it.

He was there. He saw how her eyes just turn blank whenever the nobleman does something. It took him a lot of patience not to toss the guy into the water and freeze the surface so he never gets out alive.

Kaeya let out an irritated sigh. Soleil was so exhausting. All she had to do was tell him what she wanted.

If she didn't like something, he would get rid of it. If she needs a favor, he will do it.

All she had to do was tell Kaeya what she wants. He would do it for her in a heartbeat.

Come on. Snap out of it, Kaeya shook his head lightly. He was getting too distracted with something he had no control over.

He wasn't even listening to Sucrose, who had been talking for a good while now in front of him.

"Captain? Captain Kaeya?" Sucrose hesitantly approached the man behind the desk, waving a hand in front of his face, "Are you listening to me?"

Kaeya blinked and looked at Sucrose. "Ah. My apologies. What were you saying again?" he asked, sitting up properly.

"I was discussing the reports I made about the piece of item you gave to me," Sucrose said with her usual soft voice, "It took some time, but I managed to find something."

"Sucrose, I gave the pin to you nearly a month ago," Kaeya laughed lightly, "I thought you forgot."

"T-That was a month ago?" Sucrose covered her mouth and her eyes were wide.

She put her hands together, "I'm sorry! I must have lost track of time focusing on my other works!"

"No need to apologize. What matters is that you have something to present," Kaeya waved a hand dismissively, "So? What did our favorite bioalchemist find?"

Sucrose was flustered with Kaeya's sudden kind words. She blinked and cleared her throat, "First, please have a look at the reports I made."

Kaeya reached for the papers Sucrose placed on his desk and skimmed over the girl's handwritten reports.

"A catalyst?" Kaeya turned to Sucrose.

"Yes. While examining its exterior, I noticed a few details that resembled a catalyst's own exterior. I discovered that the pin, although quite small, can store elemental energy within it no matter how potent it is," Sucrose explained.

"How?" Kaeya asked. "That is the fascinating part I noticed. While most containers require its contents to be unmoving and stable, the pin was built to have the Electro energy flow through it continuously," Sucrose's eyes glimmered, "In a sense, the pins are like living creatures. The pins are the bodies and the energy inside is the blood."