40: Some Discussions That Can Hurt Your Head

Albedo stood quietly while watching Soleil distill the pure elemental energy from a beaker into a clear flask. Just as he watched silently, Soleil herself was too focused to make a sound.

Her golden eyes reflected the shine of the liquid energy while it poured into the flask completely. Once she was done, she stepped back, "Done."

She gave the flask to Albedo, who walked to the other side of the table and took a glass dropper. He wordlessly used the dropper to get a few milliliters.

Soleil looked at the bottom of her beaker, finding tiny specks of solid particles that didn't melt in the crucible. She proceeded to put it on the side and watch Albedo.

"The Delusion," Albedo said. Soleil took out one of the Delusions they had and placed it on top of a stone slab. Albedo checked his filled dropper before approaching the Delusion.

"Be careful," Soleil said. The alchemist nodded and leaned closer to the slab. Carefully, he squeezed the dropper's bulb and let the pure, liquid energy drip on the Delusion.

Albedo took a few steps back until he stood beside Soleil. Both of them observed the Delusion sizzle, letting gray smoke emanate before fading again.

"The reaction is weaker than I anticipated," Albedo commented. "Still, it proves that it reacts violently to elemental energy," Soleil told him.

"I had imagined it would. Still, our experiments have not provided enough data to hypothesize about the Delusion's manner of usage," Albedo shook his head.

"Well... We could try to use a Vision to incite a few more reactions from the Delusion," Soleil suggested, "Compared to extracted energy, Visions are more potent catalysts for the elements."

"It's far too dangerous. We both have an idea of what could happen should those two come in contact with one another," Albedo said, his voice its usual calm.

Albedo held his chin and squinted his eyes, "We cannot gather enough data just from observing the Delusion's properties alone, nor could we directly experiment with the Archon Residue due to its harmful nature. Experimenting with a Delusion's reactions to its environment also proved to be a fruitless endeavor."

"Do you have any suggestions?" Soleil asked. "I have. However, considering its dangers, it may be something we may have difficulties with," Albedo replied.

"What is?" Soleil asked, confused. Albedo looked at her seriously, "We must see the Delusion in action. This is the only way to completely monitor how it works. We may also discover how a Delusion is created in the process."

"Hm. That does sound probable," Soleil nodded, a thoughtful and pondering look on her face.

"I am interested in how the Fatui are capable of manipulating and tampering with Archon Residue. They do this safely and was even able to manufacture Delusions from it," Albedo mused, "A dangerous but intriguing achievement, no doubt."

"Could it be possible that they have people who are not subjected to the Residue's corrosive properties?" Albedo thoughtfully said.

Soleil gazed at him and giggled lightly, "We're about to figure out."

"What do you mean by that?" Albedo looked at her. Soleil fixed her sleeves before trotting out of the workshop, "Follow me. And bring the Delusion with you while you're at it."

Albedo was about to speak but Soleil was already walking in the snow. He hesitated before sighing. He took the Delusion, as per Soleil's words, and followed after her.

"Where are we headed to?" Albedo asked while they traversed Dragonspine. Soleil breathed into her palms and rubbed it while ascending.

"We'll need a place that's out of sight. We can't be seen doing what we're about to do," Soleil replied.