58: Child's Play

Time was a cruel thing. It cuts short when you are enjoying the moment, but stretches out into agonizing eternity when you are having a rough time.

Two weeks passed since the triad of Soleil's intellectual friends visited her. But it had also been two weeks of Soleil's patience and sanity wearing thin, each day making it a whole lot worse.

Since the incident in Mt. Tianheng, the biting cold of the Tsaritsa's contract had returned to freeze her soul...and quite literally, too.

But Childe, her current 'partner', could care less. All he wanted was results, which he gets at the expense of Soleil overloading her current limits.

For two weeks, she had been witness to many incidents of Childe's 'debt collection'. Her numbness to his disposal of incompliant clients had been honed to its peak form.

Childe was impressed that she was 'handling the jobs well'. He couldn't see a sliver of emotion flicker in her professional demeanor–like she didn't care for anything he did so long as it ticks out a box from her schedule.

But he was still convinced Soleil was not fit for battle, so he always kept her on standby, either watching or the one cleaning the mess.

But more than often, Soleil would be stationed at the Fatui laboratory near Lingju Pass...bothered by the nightmares and guilt she accumulated in the past. Of course, Childe didn't know a thing. Did he have to?

Unless Childe ordered for her, Soleil spent her time overseeing the mechanical and theoretical side of the Harbinger's work. She also repairs the Fatui's equipment firsthandedly and did not ask for help (mostly because they did not have the right people and because Soleil deems their work as 'mediocre').

Needless to say, single-handedly fixing the advanced weaponry of the Fatui and overseeing management made Soleil over-exert herself. Soleil didn't expect Childe to care for her, but she could really use at least one day to take a break.

"He is such an... Ugh," Soleil's death glare into the wall warped into a pained wince when she felt the invisible cuffs of ice burying into her wrists.

Drat... Even badmouthing him silently becomes a danger to her soul. Soleil sighed and ran her hand through her hair.

But despite all of her ordeals, she still pressed her lips in worry. Not for herself, but for Childe. The way he operates under the contract's conditions felt off. Didn't any of the other Harbingers tell him how to...

Soleil snorted. It was obvious that they did not. Only five Harbingers knew how things really worked. Childe just fell in the other half. What a disappointment.

She slumped against her desk, shutting her eyes. Since it came to this, there's nothing to expect. But she honestly wished that the two months allocated to Childe would just be over and done with.

She held her head with two hands. Why has it only been two weeks?! Has the Sustainer been slacking that Order and the Heavenly Principles are working against her?!

Soleil mulled over her tragic fate while sliding off her chair unceremoniously. But she came to her senses when she heard some knocks on her door.

Her brows scrunched grumpily as she marched to the door. She had been guessing some Fatui diplomat was sent to do whatever and was ready to bitch off.

But her grumpy face became a look of surprise when she opened the door, "Mr. Zhongli?"

"Good morning, Soleil. Have you eaten breakfast?" the mentioned man smiled. Soleil blinked in surprise a few times before she shirked back.

"Oh... Good morning, too. And yes, I've eaten. Thank you for asking," she said, her voice a little hushed.

"I've brought over the medications Dr. Baizhu wished to send over to you. He had also asked a favor for me to tell you off for missing a few appointments, but I'm sure you're already aware," Zhongli said as he handed over a small paper bag.