34(Moonchase): Different People, Different Tastes

This is the canon and in-game Moonchase Festival, btw. Do try not to skip them because you might miss a few key elements needed in the future chapters.

★★

Soleil yawned lightly as she stopped in front of Wanmin Restaurant, stepping up the stone stairs.

"Hey there, sleepyhead," Xiangling greeted teasingly. "Hey, Xiangling. Can I have a take-out?" Soleil asked as she wiped at her eyes.

"Sure! What dish do you want in particular?" Xiangling asked. "Some finger foods and snacks will do. You choose for me," Soleil smiled.

"Hm, snacks, I see. Okay. Give me a moment!" Xiangling said and hurried to the kitchen.

"Do get me some mint jelly in the take-out," Soleil added. "You seem to be going somewhere. Are you going to be busy?" Xiangling asked.

"No. But it's the Moonchase Festival, Xiangling. I intend to tour Teucer around," Soleil answered with a small smile.

"Oh, the little boy with you?" Xiangling said in wonder, "I feel like I've seen him somewhere before, for some reason..."

"Hehe," Soleil laughed nervously. "Well, it seems you're occupied," Xiangling sighed. The scholar blinked.

"You sound like you needed me for something," Soleil said. "Not really," Xiangling said as she dipped some chicken into the flour.

"I was gonna ask you to help me prepare for the Masterful Chefs. Xingqiu said your feedbacks and comments are very precise and critical. Although, he did say it can sting a little," Xiangling giggled, "I was wondering if you can help me think of a dish to present at the competition."

Soleil scooted back as Xiangling put the flour-coated chicken into the frying pan with oil, causing a loud series of sizzling and popping oil to sound off.

"Oh. When it comes to food, my comments might be dull. I eat whatever's edible since I can't be picky when I'm out on a field research and need to eat. Sorry, Xiangling," Soleil smiled sheepishly.

"No, that's okay! You can just tell me what kind of food you like. If you don't have any favorites, you can tell me what dish is most appealing and why," Xiangling said while cooking.

"Hm... I think I'd choose mint salad. When I'm buried in research and have no time to spare to cook, mint salad would be my go-to. The soothing smell and taste also helps calm me down after an inevitable series of hard thinking. It also makes the least mess. Oily things are a no-no. The grease will stick to the pages and will smudge my equipment," Soleil said thoughtfully.

"So you consider the time needed to make the food and how it makes you feel. That's quite practical, hehe! What to expect from you, Soleil," Xiangling giggled.

"Well..." Soleil shrugged. "That means I must consider how the food will make the customers feel when they taste it. Hm... Something's come to mind," Xiangling nodded to herself thoughtfully.

She finished up cooking and gave a basket to Soleil, where a small container of mint jelly, a container of fried chicken, and some sweet snacks were neatly placed.

"Thanks, Xiangling," Soleil said and handed a check to the chef girl. "I should be thanking you. I think I have a head-start. But eh... I still need someone to help me out with getting opinions from others," Xiangling sighed.

"I'm really sorry. I already promised Teucer to take him somewhere this morning," Soleil said.

"There's no need to be sorry, Soleil. It's fine! But let's see who I can ask help from..." Xiangling squinted her eyes and held her chin.