Chapter 4: Lost Children

... continued from Chapter 3

"There's no reason for me to lie to a mere human now is there? You have a mana heart, unlike other humans you're constantly producing and absorbing mana."

"So what do you benefit from this?"

"Look after my child." Elias whispered bitterly with resentment, "A dragon to give birth uses its own life force and after fighting against the humans for a century- my time is almost up."

"Why me?" Looking around the scenery, trying to find the resting place of the dragon.

"There are many mysterious things in the world that cannot be explained, secrets that daren't be told: you're strong enough to wield the power of a dragon. Of course without losing oneself to arrogance whilst holding such strength."

"My blood is of most use as I'm alive, I'll give my blood to save you. So save my child with your excess of mana."

"I'll agree. But don't spread your false compliments to me, it's disgusting."

****

In order to retain heat to the dragon egg, commonly
the dragon who is frequently hunted by humans swallows the egg keeping it warm inside the stomach.

Elias trying to save whatever life force she has left by hiding deep within a hidden cave, in a semi-unconscious state the mind and soul wandering keeping thieves and outsiders away.

Throwing away her cloak or anything that would get in the way, the sounds of heavy wings soared above her head planning on fighting it out with the dragon till its end. Slicing open its stomach to take the egg, other people would've been confused by the large jewel like rock they would find when they carve open the dragon.

Jumping up high thin layers of ice, made from the precipitate in the air, formed under the soles of her feet making it seem that she was floating in the air. Clamouring up to the awakening frost dragon, it's body a glassy blue like the lustre of a luminous crystal.

The black sword crackling with blue flames, flashed quickly in her hands as ice fire shot directly in Celestes direction- her mind working in autopilot as she sliced through the blue flames that turned to ice whatever it touched.

Elias following its nature, with the burning hatred of humanity for the massacre against its kind flicked its tail and sent ice blasts, bombarding her with attacks.

Scraping her sword against the sharp scales like spikes on its back, Celeste barely managed to steady her position before thrusting the blade mercilessly at the base of its gigantic tail, the blue flame burning deep into flesh and bone as excruciating screams of pain echoed loudly on the barren mountain.

Elias losing its balance crashes against the cliff walls sending hurdles of rock and shards of ice which smashed against her body and head, sweat and blood dribbling down her black tunic that had at some point turned an ashen grey.

'Pitying a dragon is...disrespectful.' Her wavering heart hardening.

With a hand raised above her head, Celeste watched tiredly as the clouds became contiguous the sky darkening, sparks of purple thunder appeared in her hands which she aimed squinting whilst controlling her rugged breathing.

Stimulating the clouds with waves of heat
to produce thunder, she manipulated the angle to target Elias's head increasing the strength as lightning struck down quickly.

Managing to pull out a jerky shield, groaning as an icicle penetrates into her shoulder the heavy body of the Dragon ramming into the surface of a frozen river.

Feeling it's breathing slowing gradually, she dragged out her sword and approached its side, where with its stomach on show carved through its soft flesh like butter.

Dragging out the blood stained egg from its oozing stomach, she quickly put it away in the storage jewel on her neck and collapsed on her hands and knees.

"Don't cry anymore human kin."

"Whose crying!" She bellowed hoarsely, her tears merging with her dirty face full of sweat, blood and dirt.

'Mom... I miss you.'

Letting out shallow and fast paced breaths as she trembled, wiping her face roughly and forcing herself to drink mouthful after mouthful of Elias's blood until she felt she was going to vomit.

The broken green necklace on her neck, previously belonging to her mother, glowed momentarily with a subtle light, tears rolling down her dull face.

Trying to move her injured body weighed down by searing pain.

Dragged backwards with an aggressive arm and unable to take anymore stimulation: Celeste being unable to hear or see anything the person wanted from her. Fighting back weakly whimpering "mom" before fainting, eyes rolling to the back of her head.

Catching the thin and blood soaked person in his arms, the green glow of the broken jewel grew brighter and corresponded to the one on his wrist.

Soon enough the fine silk clothes of  the stranger who'd appeared before Celeste had been stained thickly in blood, stiffening at the sight of the faintly familiar face before asking himself in an anguished voice.

'Is this my gift, you couldn't give me yourself?'