Chapter 16- On Edge

Moonlight streamed in silently and caressed Hugo's sleeping figure, who rested quietly like a corpse unmoving on the king sized bed. However, if not for the subtle undulations of his chest, surely someone would have immediately misunderstood.

A gold necklace as thin as a strand of hair intertwined around his neck like a snake, glowing with an ethereal light as he slept. Pulsing gently invisible to ordinary peoples eyes.

***
The sleeping Hugo consciousness walked through a wild field of tall grass and flowers, blooming unrestrainedly and releasing an incredibly fragrant aroma.

If Hugo had not been here before, walking down the narrow path white sand underneath his bare feet, perhaps he would have been tempted to take such a thing overwhelmed by the aphrodisiac like scent.

Only to be punished with backlash from the goddess, Hugo watched as the figure blurry teased the large white petals between her fingertips.

Walking as if casually taking a stroll.

"You have come Hugo?" Her voice soft and gentle like the sweet humming of birds song as dawn breaks.

"Why can't I find her?"

"Naturally when you are fated." She persuaded him knowing of his want for her. "Whether it is Celestine Nicht or Celestine Magnus Valorean."

"...What? She's the grand dukes daughter after-."

"It is not yet time for the awakening of the Archmage."

"I have travelled to different worlds and dimensions and you tell me she has not awoken? Goddess." He whispered with anger ablaze in his red eyes.

"Foolish human what do you know? The physical form mends differently than the spirit!" Her booming voice making the ground shake.

"You went to collect Celestine's soul shards from the different worlds- If I had sent you to reincarnate
in this world, she would not exist at all."

"Calm your mind and take heed boy, I am but a lesser god given the jurisdiction of this world in contrast to its maker. Do you know of dragons? Large creatures full of immense power that can take any form and travel to any dimension." The Goddess called for him, telling Hugo a story of the worlds origin.

"The Creator god fell in love with a dragon and she was happy until out of jealousy for the other gods of the sky's, ground and sea.

Great Master of Hell created the first sin, at which the demons were inspired. Humans pitiful and weak didn't stand a chance in protecting themselves, until the god who held great compassion for the humans gave up her immortality.

Providing them with abilities and power to protect themselves and even though she loved the dragon, he trusted and believed in her benevolence.

The first sin locked away by the humans with its help.

After thousands of years the dragon tired of his life away from his lover, looked for the strongest human clan and he gave them a single drop of his blood before dying pierced by a sword. Informing the humans of the goddesses last prophecy, a warning of the existence of an 'unknown evil.'"

"An unknown evil, that the omnipotent god cannot touch." Hugo muttered, as the former emperor he was given privy to many of the Septimus Empires great secrets.

"A god may only give judgment to the souls they possess..."

"If they come from somewhere-." Hugo suddenly interrupted.

"Humans that commit evil are punished, either ultimately in hell or in the next lives they lead."

"And what wrong did Celestine commit?"

"Because of the promise of the creator God with the Septimus family, offering a wish to every heir that becomes king, never forget how lucky a position you are in- ordinary mortals do not have their greatest desire fulfilled by a god." The white flowers that bloomed changing to a blood red, spreading throughout the field like blood.

Warning him to not anger her any further.

" 'Annabelle Bailey' who committed transgressions in her own world took Celestine's fate. Suffering from immense loss, pain and betrayal when she should not have. Awakening a power that a mortal body cannot bear, when she shouldn't have, she chose to die because she would have anyway."

His heart flooding with suppressed anger. Hugo asked hesitantly clenching his jaw, "In the ten different worlds... the reason Celestine died or was killed each time..."

"Absolving the sins she didn't commit."