Chapter 7: Grandfather

"So I have a granddaughter... where is she then?" Was the first thing the former grand duke Richard Ethan Valorean questioned playfully, the moment he arrived at the dukedom.

Spending his days leisurely farming cattle in the mountains, his grey beard straggly unlike the pristine image of a noble stereotypically thought of.

Looking at the bitter expressions of the servants he frowned being called from a far, "Father let's talk about this in the study."

"So that's what happened." Brushing off the biscuit crumbs of his favourite tweed jacket, his purple eyes full of iciness.

"The lass, you said she killed a dragon?" Pondering as he crossed his arms over his chest. "She can use a sword?" Seeing him nod his head, his eyes gleamed with approval.

"Celestine hasn't been formally trained however."

"That's what you want me here- though it's best not to reveal she did the killing." Scratching his chin with an elegant posture. "Go! I'll spend time with the lovely granddaughter."

Belly full of laughter as he looked at his sons spiteful look, "There's also news going round the Crown Prince has already graduated, even if he's eighteen-he's classed as an adult."

"I'm planning on sending scouts to look for him."

"Good. Anymore power and the foolish woman will attempt to swallow the empire whole." Always listening into the news and welfare of his country.

Knock, knock,knock! Jerome followed in by the head mage with a baffled expression quickly informed, their faces making him nervous.

"What is it?"

Tilting her head as she tried to figure out words to say she explained, "the lady's hair colour is changing- in some part it's turning white."

"Let's have a chat with the lass, it seems she has the insanity of not valuing one's body-only the members of Crudêl are like that."

*******

After having a full on rant whilst crying in her fathers arms, she embarrassedly fell asleep and waking up asked for a bath.

During that time they'd removed her restraints, painfully trying to circulate her mana in her blood to help with the healing process. Only to discover it was like an injured person trying to move a wall of bricks by himself.

Water splashed as she cleaned herself carefully trying not to dampen the cuts covered in dry bandages, her hands faintly bleeding a bit due to being scratched on glass.

Raising her head to look at the shocked maid Arian, who'd handed her a mirror, streaks of white threaded in her silky onyx locks-the roots completely devoid of colour.

"Young miss." Combing a wooden brush to help clean her up, her voice faltered looking at the beautiful girl. "Why is this happening?"

"Oh...my." Staring at herself shocked, the maid ran out whilst Celestine wondered what she'd do to explain her predicament.

Squeezing the storage crystal on her neck and pulling out the egg, blood dripped down on the egg going along trying to haphazardly sign a contract with the dragons egg.

Lines appeared etched with a knife on the skin that touched the dragon, drawing more blood as she was overcome by light headedness. Sucking power from her into the egg, placing it away before later getting over and changing by herself.

Peeking a look at her hand which she hid over the loose sleeve, Celestine looked up listening to the rowdy and bellowing voice, "You must be the lass,now tell thee:what 'av yer been doin' with that dragon?"

"I'm your grandfather, I won't hurt ya!" He coughed used to his common way of speaking, after living out of nobility for a long time.

"...Promise?" She hesitated nervous, her hands trembling.

"Yes, even if the Emperor wanted you- I won't give you to him."

"I worked as a mercenary for four years and chose to do the task of finding a dragons heart- specifically the frost dragons in the north." She explained dully.

"I'm a mage, so I was able to understand what the dragon was saying. She said I have a mana heart that's producing more mana than my body can handle, so she offered me a deal."

Watching his comforting expression turning more serious as time went on, realising to how much length he'd have to take to protect his granddaughter from harm.

"I'll give you my blood, if you use the excess mana to rear her child." Spreading out her palm to reveal the ancient signature for contracting with a dragon.

Just once: she want to trust someone, especially because they said they were her family. If they betrayed her of course she would destroy them, but she wanted to test the waters.

"Then you must be in tremendous pain."

"..." Noticing her face was pale and lips were blue.

"But in the future don't think nonchalantly about taking poison because there are people who care about you now." He lectured Celestine sternly.

"Your heart may be an enormous source of power but your shell is human, only a monster attacks indiscriminately and has no fear over the deaths of many."

"However, just because you've taken that old nut jobs name because your just as experimental as the old bastard- doesn't mean you'll be allowed to do that kind of thing in the future."

"A Valorean and a Crudêl: my granddaughter, Celestine Magnus Valorean."

'Wasn't Celestine's Master who originally taught her magic a Crudêl?'

Finding her being beaten by slave traders, he helped her and realising her talent brought her in.

Already a professor in the Academy already being the Dukes teacher, the two were constantly fighting for favour.

Which is why the Duke never liked Celestine in the novel, especially when she becomes the head of mages tower.