Chapter 5: Mother And Father

Tac,tac,tac.

The sound of steady footsteps against the smooth oak floor could be heard in the empty corridor, except for the stalwart knights guarding the room.

Bowing her head a maid carries a basket of used bedding, scurrying off in a hurry her face strangely paler than before entering.

"Go and inform the duke..." A knight whispered in the others ear, who checked the state of the young girl in the room.

A week ago the mansion of Grand Duke Valorean had been in up roar, suddenly vanishing before a private meeting with his vassals discussing the ascension of the crown prince. He'd ordered the butler Jerome to silently send away all of the guests, returning with a bloodied youth in his arms.

Clearly distraught the Grand Duke never making such a horrifying expression since the madam had gone missing.

Walking with Celeste's head bowed she walked painfully further away from the view of the knights and watching out for other people- before slipping into what she'd thought was an empty room. Unable to find out for sure due to the mana restricting shackles on each wrist that her strange kidnappers had put on her loosely like a bracelet.

Luckily it was empty, catching her breath whilst slumping on the other side and locking the door.

"Hah, hah." She huffed, her cheeks sweaty with fever.

Muscles feeling painful with periods of scalding heat and shivering cold spreading throughout her body, hacking at her sanity on the verge between losing consciousness.

Conserving her energy by not screaming, she wondered what kind of situation she was in, having informed the duke who was livid over her disappearance. He'd ordered everyone in the mansion to try and find her, whilst being reported with an immediate investigation that he'd done on her.

Pulling off the bonnet, damp hair irritated the back of her neck, the roots already changing colour, Celeste using it as a rag wiping her face whilst looking for a window she could open.

Thick curtains a dark berry colour colour blocked out all of the light, despite not being used it had been well looked after without a single layer of dust.

Pulling aside the curtains to the balcony, she panicked looking at the far distance to the ground, all of which was swamped with snow.

Turning to look at the door, hearing shouting and the rattling of doors, 'What the hell should I do now?' She regretting her impulsive decision on making her escape so quickly.

'What kind of people are they-what would they want from me?'  Circling the rococo style room, luxurious furniture adorned with velvet and silks.

Resting a hand on a table steadying her posture, trying to figure out what to do next.

A brief whiff of roses faint in the room, seemed to relax her unconsciously looking up to meet realistic green orbs full of affection.

Jerking back in disbelief the loud smashing of a vase of roses alerted others to the room, but she didn't really care.

Falling to her knees into the pool of water, Rose clippings and glass shards, Celeste replayed her melancholic eyes blood spewing from her lips as the tip of a sharp sword punctured into the middle of chest cavity.

Holding her tightly in her arms before she was dragged away.

Even with the attire of a noble lady seated elegantly in an arrogant position, neck dazzling with emerald jewellery-she would never forget that face.

Celeste felt that she was being swept away by a multitude of emotions, that she had been suddenly struck with as if she had been stabbed in the heart.

'Well I couldn't really remember anything except my previous life.'

"Young Lady!" A red eyed, middle aged maid called looking at the horrified face of the young girl staring at the former madams portrait.

"Step Away." The Grand Duke warned lowly, trying not to further frighten the child.

His clothes dishevelled revealing taut muscles of a mature man between the undone buttons, unshaved beard stubble and distressed eyes.

"Child." His rough voice with a sultry allure sobered her up as the girl hands bled out scraped by glass.

Reaching out to hold her hand she avoided him coldly observing with a violent gaze, "Why is my mother on the wall?", her voice rasping not far from breaking down.

"She's my wife." Slowly annunciating, squatting in front of her.

"...Lies." Biting her lip, "My fathers... dead."

Pulling out her mothers broken necklace, with his own purple mana stone the two halves merged together to form a circle.

"Elisabeth your mother," showing her the engraving at the back of his side, "Nicholas your father."

"I'm also not blind enough to not recognise my own child." He stated raising his voice, making Celeste flinch.

Barely making out the letters with callused fingers, "Why are you so late?"

"She's been dead four years already." Bloodshot eyes filled with rage.

"I'm sorry." Wrapping her up in his arms, she couldn't help but to let out choked and wheezing tears.

"I couldn't protect you mother and daughter." Turning into full blown suppressed screams pulling on his shirt and shaking.

"I'm sorry I came so late."

'Empress I'll kill you.'