Chapter 3

I tried to regain my focus and continue the game. I had to cross that finish line if I wanted to survive.

"Green light" I suddenly heard. I ran as fast as I could and stood still. My heart would skip a beat every time someone would get shot. I felt nauseous at the sight of dead people. I continued to move forward safely and stopped right in front of the finish.

I looked next to me to see a foreigner, he was helping another contestant who was about to fall.

Why would you care about others in a game like this?

"Green light" I ran as fast as I could and crossed the finish line. I looked around me to see relieved faces of the ones that made it to the finish. I looked around the field to see many frightened faces. They didn't make it in time. I wondered what was going to happen to them. The doll turned around and shot every single person that was still left on the field.

My eyes widened in shock.

"Don't be afraid" someone behind me said. "This will be an opportunity to make lots of money" he added. I turned around to face an old man. I couldn't believe someone of his age actually made it out alive.

"Congratulations players, you have managed to survive the first game" we heard through the speakers. "Please get some rest and eat well. Tomorrow the second game will start. Make sure to follow the guidelines and instructions"

The door opened and we were guided back to the room we started in. Everyone got in line for food. My hands were shaking. How was I ever going to survive this place? They never stated people would die. Then again, they never stated people wouldn't. I didn't notice it was my turn to receive food. "Hey bitch, how about you hurry up" someone behind me said. I turned around to face a guy with a dragon tattoo on his face.

"Sorry" I excused myself and grabbed my food before leaving. I made my way to my bed. It had my number on it. "281"

I silently sat down and ate my food. "Hey" I heard a voice. I looked up to see a man. "My name is Seong Gihun" he said and softly smiled at me. "So?" I asked as I continued eating my food. "I just want to say that you did very well in the game" he said. "Weren't you saved by that foreigner?" I asked. He nodded.

"He really saved my life" he said. I let out a laugh. "You could say that" I commented. He sat down on the edge of my bed. "You see, people are starting to form groups" he then said. "To stay strong and to help each other out. We can support each other and that way-" he started but I cut him off. "I don't want to get attached to anyone" I said. "So I'm sorry sir but I won't join your group if that's what you wanted to ask" I added.

"That's ok" he said and nodded. "The invitation is still open whenever you want it" he added. I thanked him before continuing to eat my food.

I looked next to me to see a boy making his way towards me. I kept my guard up. "Don't get too close, I'm warning you" I said. He chuckled. "Don't worry about it" he said before sitting on the bed next to me. He pointed at his number tag. "280".

"Ah.. I'm sorry for judging you" I apologised. He shook his head. "It's ok" he said. "Looks like the beds are divided based on our numbers" I pointed out. He nodded. I looked over at him and examined his face. He seemed quite young. He suddenly looked up and our eyes met. "Can I help you?" he asked. "I don't like people staring at me" he added.

"I was just wondering why someone as young as you would join such a game" I said. He let out a sigh and looked at the floor. "Personal reasons" he replied. I silently nodded. "What about you?" he asked. "You seem pretty young as well" he added. "I started a company that went bankrupt" I replied. He nodded. "I'm sorry that happened to you" he said. I shook my head. "It's fine. I hope we can make enough money here and get out as soon as possible" I said.

"Participants, thank you for your patience. We will now start to fill the piggy bank with the well earned money that you guys have made" we suddenly heard.

I looked up to see money falling from the ceiling and into the piggy bank. It was a lot. Every dead person was worth money. It sent shivers down my spine. I felt horrible. We are making money off of dead people. "Do you think those people actually died?" I asked the guy. He looked at me surprised. "Why do you ask?" he asked. "I'm just.. trying to let it sink in" I said.

"They're dead, without a doubt" he said. "I could tell from their bodies" he added. "The scent, the state, the coldness" he said. I looked away. "Do you work with dead bodies?" I asked him. He stayed quiet. "It doesn't matter" he replied before getting up. I watched as he walked away.

I finished my food and let my head fall back onto my pillow. This day has been exhausting. I slowly closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.