Chapter 10

"We need a plan" I said. "How will we collect evidence?" I asked. He pulled his phone out of his pocket. "We sneak a phone in" he said. "But they take away all our possessions-" I started but he cut me off. "We have to hide it somewhere they won't be able to find it" he said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you suggesting..?" I asked, followed by an awkward silence. "I'm not going to sneak a phone into my undergarments!" I protested. "I'll do it" he said. "I won't touch that phone" I crossed my arms. "You're not an officer anyways. It's not your job to gather evidence" he said. "Your boss seems to think otherwise" I said. "Don't worry too much" he reassured me. "Everything's going to work out" he added.

We got ready to rejoin the game. We went to the address that was on the card and waited to get picked up. I nervously looked around. "You got the phone?" I asked. He nodded. "Did you tape it in place?" I asked. "Yes, they won't be able to find it" he answered. We watched as a black van pulled over.

We stepped inside and before I knew it, everything went black.

-

I opened my eyes.

I looked around the room. My clothes were changed into the familiar green tracksuit of the game.

"Participants welcome back to the game. A total of 102 people have returned. Please prepare yourself for game number 4, which will start in a bit. For this game you need to form groups of 9" I heard through the speakers.

It seemed like I had successfully rejoined the game. I quickly got out of bed and went to look for Junho. I walked up to his bed. Was he still asleep? "Wake up sleepy head" I said as I playfully slapped his face. He slowly opened his eyes. "Are we back?" he asked and let out a groan. "Yes we are" I said. "Did they take away your phone?" I asked. He stood up. "No, I can feel it" he said. "Ew, too much information" I complained. He let out a laugh. "You slept through the instructions of the next game" I told him.

He listened carefully as I explained to him what we had to do. "So we need to form a group?" he asked. I nodded. and scanned the room. My eyes caught those of Gihun. He was back as well. He smiled at me and waved for us to come over. We made our way to him and his group. "Really Gihun? We already have three women in our team" one of his team members said. "Don't mind Sangwoo, he can be a bit direct" Gihun told me.

All the members introduced themselves to us except for the old man and one of the women. "What game do you think it will be this time?" Ali asked. "I hope nothing that requires strength since we got an old man and three ladies" Sangwoo said. "Don't judge before you hear what game it is" I said. He ignored my comment. "As long as you guys got me in your team, we will win" Minyeo said. I watched as the unnamed woman rolled her eyes.

We all lined up and followed the guards to the play ground. "For this game we will be playing tug-of-war" we heard through the speakers. "All teams have a number and will get randomly selected to compete against each other" we heard.

I looked over at Sangwoo, he seemed worried. "We can still win" Gihun reassured him. We watched as the first team competed against each other. It was nerve racking to look at. One member of the left team seemed to lose his balance, dragging the rest of the team along. They dangled onto the rope, holding on for dear life. The rope got split in the middle and the dangling participants fell to the ground.

"Team four" we heard. I hesitantly got up. I didn't dare to look down. The ground was covered in blood. I watched as the guards took care of the dead bodies. We walked past the group that won the previous game. They laughed at us as they saw what our group consisted out of. "Rest in peace" one of them told us before walking off. I nervously made my way to the start place. Our group seemed extremely weak compared to the other groups. "We need a tactic" Gihun said. The old man started speaking. "I have played this a lot when I was younger" he said. "I know how we can win" he added.

"Tell us" Sangwoo said. "Once the game starts. We will al hold onto the rope tight and lean backwards as much as we can. It will help us stand our ground. Eventually, the other team will stumble or lose their balance. At that moment, we all pull" he said.

"Sounds like a good plan" I said. We all made our way to the rope and watched as we got chained to it. We stood in a zigzag formation to balance out the amount of strength we'd generate together.

"Go!" we heard the start sign. We all pulled onto the rope as hard as we could while leaning backwards. The other team started frantically pulling the rope. I tried to stand my ground, but it was hard. I felt like someone in the front wasn't pulling hard enough. "Whoever is daydreaming in the front, please do something!" I called out. "Who are you to talk?" Sangwoo answered me back. "You're not pulling at all" I pointed out. Our arguing lead to a loss of concentration and focus from the other members.

The other group pulled. I felt like we were being pulled forward. Minyeo started screaming in my ear. "We are going to die!" she screamed. "Can you shut up" Jiyeong snapped at her. "Guys focus!" Gihun said. The sweat was dripping off my forehead. "We need a plan" Junho said. "To outsmart the other team" he added. I started thinking. "We need to make them lose their balance" I pointed out. "We have to confuse them" I added. "How?" Sangwoo asked. "On three we will all take three steps forward" I said.

"Forward!?" Minyeo exclaimed. "Yes just trust me" I said. "Are you crazy?" Junho asked me. "I agree with her" Sangwoo said. "On the count of three" I said. "One... two,, three!" I called out. We all took three steps forward. I watched in horror as Gihun dangled onto the rope. He held on tight.

"Pull!" I quickly called out. We all frantically started pulling the rope as hard as we could. The other team slipped and tried to redeem the themselves but we were pulling too hard for them. They eventually lost grip of the rope and dangled onto it. The guards split the rope and they all fell to their death.

We all fell back in exhaustion as we tried to catch our breath. My hands were red and I was covered in sweat. Junho put a hand on my shoulder. "You did well" he told me. I thanked him before sitting up straight. The guards told us to get up and go back to the main room. We were safe.

We returned to the main room and stood in line for food. "Well?" Minyeo asked Sangwoo. "This lady right here saved us and you didn't even thank her" she said. Sangwoo looked away. "Anyone could have came up with such a plan" he said. "I respect your pride" I sarcastically said as I grabbed some food and water.

Time went by and slowly more people started filling the room. They all lined up for food. "I didn't receive any food" someone said. "Me neither" the person behind them said. "There is enough food for everyone" the guard pointed out. "Excuse me" a woman in the back said. "I saw him and his team stand in line twice" she said as she pointed at the guy with a dragon tattoo on his face.

"How about you shut your face before I make you" he told her. "That was my food!" a man protested and made his way to the guy. "What are you going to do about it huh?" he laughed. The man jumped onto him and they started fighting. The guy accidentally dropped his water bottle, making glass shatter everywhere.

"Look what you did" he told the man before picking up a piece of the shattered glass. "I-I'm sorry" the man said. The guy stabbed him with the piece of glass before kicking him to the ground. He kept on kicking until the man stopped moving.

The guards entered the room and put the man in one of the well known black boxes. "I-Is he dead?" someone asked. "You're definitely going to get in trouble for doing this" someone else said. We watched as the contestant count went down by one. The piggy bank got lowered from the ceiling and money started pouring in.

"Well.. shit" I cursed, knowing the storm that was about to come.