Chapter 4

The next morning we were awakened by the guards. We had to start preparing for today's game. I let out a sigh as I got out of my bed. I saw that indeed most of the participants had formed group. I looked over at Gihun. He seemed to have a nice group.

"Participants, prepare for the second game" we heard through the speakers. We all lined up and followed the guards to the playground. "For this game, you guys will be playing tag. Form pairs and stand next to the big tree"

I looked around. Nobody seemed to be alone. Everyone had a partner. I felt a wave of regret hitting me. I should have accepted Gihun's offer. What if I get eliminated because I have nobody?

I walked around the field, desperate to find someone. "Does anyone need a partner?" I asked out loud. People around me started judging me. "You're dead" someone laughed. "Everyone already has someone" someone else said. I walked around the field with no plan. I just needed someone. Someone who would want to play with me.

"You need a partner?" I heard behind me. I turned around. "Player 280" I said as I looked at the guy in front of me. He walked closer to me. "So, do you?" he asked. I nodded. "Let's play together" he said.

We both lined up next to the tree. "Now, find another pair that you would like to go up against" we heard the instructions. "We should look for an old pair, they can't run as fast as us" I said. "Good thinking" he said. We made our way over to an elderly couple. "Would you guys like to play with us?" I asked. They declined, knowing that they would probably lose.

"We'll play with you guys" we heard someone say. We turned around to face two guys. They seemed to be around the age of 40. "Sure" I said. We all took position. "You will be cuffed to your partner. You will have to tag at least one of your opponents. The game has to be fair. No violence or cheating are allowed. If you tag your opponent, both you and your partner are safe. If you get tagged, both you and your partner will get eliminated. Now let the game begin"

"So we just have to touch them?" he asked me. I nodded. "This shouldn't be too hard" I said. A guard cuffed our arms to each other. The guys in front of us seemed rather confident. "I hope you guys don't have future plans cause you won't survive this game" one of them said. "We'll see about that" I replied.

The guys started chasing us and we ran away. "We need a plan" he said. "What about, we lure them our way, dodge them, and then tag them?" I asked. "Risky" he stated.

We then heard two gunshots. "Player 200 eliminated" "Player 207 eliminated"

"Let's go for it" he suddenly said. We lured both of the guys our way. They were about to tag him, but he dodged it. I tried to tag one of the guys but he moved away too fast. We stood in front of each other. "Now!" the guy yelled as he tried to tag me, I moved away just in time and touched his back. "Got you!" I said.

I watched as both of the guys fell to the ground in fear. "Please don't kill us" one of them told the guards. "I have a family. A 3 year old son-" he started but the guards shot both of them.

"Players 79 eliminated"
"Player 402 eliminated"

My heart was beating extremely fast. I felt nauseous by looking at the bodies in front of me. The guards had no mercy. These games were a matter of life or death. I looked over at player 280 who seemed to be just as startled as me.

"That would have been us if we didn't win" I said, my voice shaking. I couldn't imagine losing a game. He let out a deep breath. "I'm relieved we did well" he said. Two guards guided us back to the main room. It seemed like we were one of the first ones to have finished the game. We grabbed some food before making our way to our beds. I threw myself onto my bed. "I don't think I will last long here" I said.

He took a sip from his water. "Why? The violence?" he asked. "It's not just the violence. It's the dead people" I said. "This whole concept is messed up and should be reported to the police" I added. He let out a sigh and looked at the ground. "I agree" he said. "Didn't they say that if the majority would vote that we could leave?" I asked. He nodded.

"We should get people to vote" I said. "I don't know about you, but I'd like to get out of this hell" I added and took a bite from my food. He stayed quiet. He seemed to be thinking. Was he really doubting whether to stop this cruel game?

I continued to eat my food when I felt a pat on my shoulder. "Y/n?" I heard. I turned around. My eyes widened. "Brother?" I asked in shock. I was taken by surprise to see my brother here. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight. I felt tears falling on to my jacket.

"Why?" he asked. "Why did you join such a cruel game?" he asked. I looked at the floor in embarrassment. "My company went bankrupt" I said. He spun me around so I would face him. I didn't want to look him in the eyes. I felt too much shame. "There are better ways out" he said. "You need to leave this place" he added.

"Why are you here?" I asked. "You were always so successful" I added. "I got fired" he said. "I got involved with the wrong people and I need to pay them back. If I don't get them their money on time, they will kill me" he explained.

"The chances of getting killed here are bigger" I pointed out and crossed my arms. "Don't make any stupid decisions" I added. He nodded. "Same goes for you" he replied. "Let's stick together ok?" he asked as he wiped the tears off his face. I nodded and looked over at player 280. He didn't seem to be listening to our conversation. I looked at my brother again. "We have a deal" I said.