Chapter 5

"Have you joined any groups yet?" my brother asked me. I shook my head. "Do you want to join mine?" he asked. "I know the people very well and they can be trusted" he added. I agreed to join his team. Despite me not wanting to get attached to anyone, I knew that it would be hard for me to survive on my own. I followed him to his group and he introduced me to everyone.

"What does your little sister have to offer our team huh?" one of them asked. "More than you can imagine" I said. "I don't think she's a valuable asset for us" another one said. I rolled my eyes. "Just let me join and I'll show how useful I can be in the upcoming game" I said.

"Participants well done surviving game number two. We will now grant you guys the well deserved money for today" we heard through the speakers. The piggy bank dropped from the sky and money started pouring in. The participant count went down and stopped at 263. We started the game with 456 participants. I felt a knot in my stomach just thinking about how 193 people have died in two days.

"Don't worry" I felt a hand on my shoulder. "We will make it till the end" my brother reassured me. I smiled at him. "I believe in us" I said. I stayed with my brother for a while before returning back to my bed.

I saw that player 280 was still laying in his bed. "You're not even trying to socialise" I said as I sat down on my bed. He looked at me. "Are you talking to me?" he asked. "You should join a team" I said. "I don't want to" he said. "I didn't take you for someone to join a group either" he said. "Well my brother insisted in joining his group" I said.

"Your brother is here?" he asked. I nodded. "Yeah it took me by surprise as well" I said and sighed. "Did you know he had money problems?" he asked. I shook my head. "I had no clue" I replied. We continued to talk for bit. I told him about my brother and the told me a bit about his family.

"Can I ask your name?" I suddenly asked. "Why?" he asked back. "Just because" I replied. "It doesn't matter" he said. "I'm Y/n" I said. "Y/n Y/l/n" I said. "Just because you introduced yourself doesn't mean I will do the same" he said.

"You're so hard to talk to" I groaned and let my head fall back onto my pillow. "Dongyeon" he suddenly said. "Park Dongyeon" he said. I sat up on my bed and faced him. "Dongyeon" I repeated him. "Nice to meet you" I smiled at him.

A/N: Junho is not giving his actual name, as he doesn't trust anyone in the game.

Time passed by slowly. I spent the majority of the day trying to think about what tomorrow's game could be. The lights turned off eventually and everyone went to bed.

-

"Goodmorning participants. Please prepare yourself for today's game. Make sure to follow the guidelines and line up before leaving the room" we heard through the speakers.

It was time to get ready for today's game. Everyone got out of bed and lined up before following the guards. We arrived in a room filled with toy grab machines. "Shit" I cursed under my breath. These machines are always adjusted to make you lose.

"In this game, everyone has to choose a machine. You will have to grab a toy and successfully bring it into the basket. If you manage to win a toy, you have won the game. You only get one chance" I heard the instructions. My heart was beating at a rapid pace. I nervously chose a machine and stood in front of it. My brother chose the machine next to me. He smiled at me. "We got this" he said and held his fist up. I smiled and nodded.

The start sign went off and I put my hand on the joystick. I moved the claw around and pressed the button to lower it. I aimed for a small stuffed bear. It seemed the easiest to catch. I held my breath as the claw grabbed the bear. I slowly moved the joystick to drop the toy in the basket. I pressed the button to release the toy. I held my breath. It seemed like I had pressed the button too early. The toy fell on the edge of the basket. I didn't dare to look.

Suddenly, I heard a gasp next to me. I turned to face my brother. He had accidentally dropped his toy.

My eyes widened.

Tears formed in my eyes as I held my pained heart. "No please" I said to the guard. "Don't hurt him please" I begged. I rushed over to him and stood in front of him. "You will have to shoot me if you want to shoot him" I said with tears in my eyes. "You have won the game" the guard said. I looked over at my machine, the toy had fallen into the basket. "I am not allowed to eliminate winners" he said. I turned around to face my brother.

A tear rolled down his cheek. "It's ok" he whispered to me. "No it's not" I shook my head. "You can't die" I said. "Don't worry about me" he reassured me. I frantically shook my head. "Y/n please" he said. "Promise me that when you walk out of here with the prize money, you will provide for my family. Help my wife and kids out" he said. "Make me proud" he weakly smiled at me. "Please spare him" I told the guard. "Player 281 you need to step away right now" he answered back. I shook my head as tears streamed down my face. "Kill me instead" I said. "Please" I cried. "Just don't-" I started but before I knew it I heard a gunshot behind me.

I turned around to see my brother collapsing onto the floor. I froze in place. My eyes widened at the sight in front of me. My breath hitched in my throat. I felt lightheaded. Everything started to spin. I dropped to my knees as I helplessly watched them put his body into a black box with a pink ribbon.

"Player 167 eliminated" I heard. Two guards picked me up from the floor and dragged me back to the main room. I entered the room and made my way to my bed. I buried my face into my pillow and cried.

I cried for what felt like hours. My heart was shattered. I had to leave this place before I would lose my mind.