Chapter 8

I had been sitting in front of the building for about an hour when suddenly my phone started ringing. I looked to see that my landlord was calling. I let my head fall back as I groaned. This was the last thing I needed right now. I reluctantly picked up.

"Miss Y/l/n this is the 7th time I've tried to contact you. Why are you not responding to any emails, letters, or phone calls?" he asked. "Why?" I asked annoyed. "I got nothing to tell you" I added before wanting to hang up. "Gather your stuff and move out. I want to see you today before 7pm. You will hand me the keys to your apartment. You are behind on rent for over five months now. Knowing you, you will never gather enough money to pay" he said.

"What do you mean move?" I asked. "I have nowhere to go" I stated. "That's not my problem miss Y/l/n. I've already given you too many chances" he said. I let out a sigh. "Where can I move my stuff to while I look for a new place?" I asked. "I can lend you a storage room for free, but only for a week. After that, you are on your own" he said. I took a deep breath. "I will start packing right now" I said.

I had no money left to take the bus so I walked back home. I started packing my stuff as soon as I arrived. I felt numb inside. Nothing seemed to go right for me. It felt as if the universe was against me. I had no tears or emotions left. I felt completely empty. I put my last belongings into a bag and sat down on the couch. I called the landlord and asked him to help me move things out.

He called for a moving van and helped me to bring everything to the storage room. "I'm sorry it had to be this way" he said. "It's ok" I mumbled. "All I've been getting lately is bad luck" I said as I looked up at the sky. "I might deserve it" I said. He shook his head. "Everything will get better eventually" he said and put his hand on my shoulder. I slapped his hand away. "Thanks for the storage room" I said before snatching the keys out of his hand and leaving. I put my hood up and walked back to the police station.

I sat in front of the building again. It was starting to get late. Could it be that he had already left?

I saw that the lights were still on. I waited for another 15 minutes before getting up and stretching my legs. I looked up to see someone walking outside.

It was him.

I didn't hesitate before walking up to him. He walked towards his car and didn't seem to notice me. He leaned over to open the car door but I stopped him by placing my hand on the door. "Not so fast officer" I said. He turned around and looked at me. "You have some explaining to do" I said. "I don't owe you anything" he said before wanting to open the door again. I held onto it firmly.

"Ma'am I'm requesting you to step away from my car. I'm not going to ask again" he said. "Stop this act of yours" I said mad. "Junho, Dongyeon, whatever your name might be. You're a filthy liar" I said. He let out a sigh. "I'm sorry I can't help you" he said. I grabbed him by the hem of his shirt before pushing him up against the car. "You don't know who you're messing with" I said. "I've spent hours waiting for your shift to end so I could confront you" I added. "Stop acting dumb. You were at the game. Player 280. Your bed was next to mine. You teamed up with me to play tag" I said.

"Do you recall anything?" I asked. He broke eye contact. "Answer me!" I demanded. I felt tears forming in my eyes. "My brother died there" I said. "Because of a damn children's game" I added. "I've been feeling sick and nauseous ever since. I'm constantly replaying everything in my head. He made me promise him to take care of his family. I can't even make him proud cause I left that stupid game like the pathetic person I am" I said.

"Tell me why you're turning a blind eye to all of this" I said. He looked away. "You need to leave me alone" he said as he tried to push me off. My grip around his arms tightened as I dug my nails into his skin.

"You think you can get rid of me?" I asked him and let out a laugh. "You really are something else" I added. "I have the right to arrest you for violence and intimidation" he said. I smiled at him and held my hands up. "Please" I said. "Arrest me" I added. He gave me a confused look.

I had nowhere to sleep. Staying at the police station would provide me with a roof over my head. It took me by surprise when he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone instead of handcuffs. "What are you-" I started but he cut me off and opened the map application on his phone. "What's your address?" he asked. "Why?" I asked, suspicious of his behavior. "I'll give you a ride home" he said.

"No you won't. You're going to tell me why you're acting like you don't know me" I said and crossed my arms. He turned around and opened the car door. "If you get in, I'll give you a lift" he said. "Or you can stay out here in the cold" he added before stepping inside. I couldn't stop him from leaving. I slowly opened the other car door and got in.

"So where do I drop you off?" he asked. "Nearest homeless shelter" I answered without making eye contact. He remained silent but I could tell he was taken back by my words. "I know there's a shelter near Lake River. Just drop me off there" I said.

He drove off. I stared out of the window in complete silence. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't pay attention to the road. I noticed him taking a wrong turn. "No, it's the other way" I said. He ignored my comment and continued to drive. "You're going the wrong way" I pointed out.

"I'm not taking you there" he said. I looked at him confused. "You're not going to kidnap me are you?" I asked. He ignored my comment. "Hello, answer me you psychopath" I said mad. "Where are you taking me?" I asked, slightly raising my voice. He pulled over in front of a house and parked the car. I opened the door and stepped outside. "My place" he said as he pulled a key out of his pocket. "Y-Your place?" I asked surprised. "Why would you take me here?" I asked. I took a step back. "You disgusting pervert" I suddenly said. "You think you can just-" I started but he rolled his eyes and stepped inside, leaving the door open.

"You can come in or sleep on the street. It's up to you" he said.