Portals

I sighed in contentment, smiling as I turned my head to see George laying beside me on the grass. He looked nice in this lighting- or any lighting, to be honest. Something I always liked about him was the fact that he always had the unknown courage to let people see what he looked like. Our lives could end at any second and yet the only person who had seen my face was nowhere to be seen. The friend I loved so much that was right beside me had yet to even know what I look like. Sure, I'd given a brief description, blonde hair and green eyes, but that could be a ton of possibilities compared to what people look like.

Maybe one day I'd let him see my face- when our lives weren't on the line, or at one point when we were safe enough and away from other people. I think that'd be a nice thing to do- it was only fair.

"Dweammmm- Earth to Dreammmmm-" George said in a sing-songy voice. I blinked and realized I had been staring at him. "Jeez, I knew I had pretty privilege but am I really that pretty?" he said teasingly. I laughed a little. "Yes, yes you are. And I am here to protect you and that pretty face of yours." He quietly laughed in response, making my smile grow. "Y'know it'd be much easier to see how you're really thinking if I could see you," he said quietly. I sighed again, this time in a slight sadness. "I know, George. Believe me- as soon as I willingly show my face you'll be the second to see it. Mainly because unfortunately, you can't really hide your face from someone you live with," I laughed quietly without humour.

"I wish I had the confidence to show you right now...It's harder than it should be, showing someone my face, y'know? It's like everyone knows everything about me, it's the small thing I get to keep to myself. And although I want you to see, I want you to know what I look like, I can't bring myself to take off the mask. Both metaphorically and physically. I want to, just-" George cut me off by sitting up and resting a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, Dream. I promise. I understand you not wanting to show it- it's okay. Just wait until you're ready." I smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you..." I lifted my mask enough so he could see my smile, giving him a quick hug.

It's nice to have friends who don't push you to do things like show your face. Really nice.

"We should head back, we need rest," I spoke softly, feeling George nod against my shoulder. I let go of him and stood up, lifting him as well. I helped him up onto the horse, climbing on behind him and grabbing ahold of the reins.

"Now, where to, dear Prince George?" I said in a joking tone. He laughed. "To home, my dear knight," he replied, his British accent making it funnier. I laughed and turned the horse to face the way back to the house, glad it wasn't super far away but still wishing we would have been able to go farther.

We rode in silence, me still happy that I was with George. "Dream?" I heard him say behind me. "Yes, George?" I replied, turning the steed so we wouldn't slip anywhere. "Why did you come here, exactly?" I held my breath as he asked the question, knowing he would either not fully agree with my reasoning, believe I doubted him, or be slightly glad that I did come.

"Well...It was tearing me apart, every second I wasn't on a call with you or hearing Sapnap complaining about something in the house. I was worried about you both since I heard what happened, and I guess I was worried you would get hurt. You can't blame me for being worried about you, with our speedruns together how easily you got hurt sometimes made me worried. I figured Sapnap would protect you, and anyone else who was trapped would protect you both because of how people look up to you guys, but then I came in here and saw Sapnap wasn't around. George, I've been worried about you for two weeks checking the death list every single day to make sure you were okay. As soon as Mojang sent me that e-mail with a chance to come in here and protect you it felt like every worry I had about you two just disappeared because I thought I could come and help you both.."