chapter six.

The next morning, I woke up around 9 o'clock to the power being out and the cell towers being down. This kind of living wasn't something I was used to, so I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't want to be home with my dad, so the only other thing there was for me to do was to leave. I was planning on walking around the island like I had been doing the past couple days. I was hoping I'd run into someone over the course of the past couple days, specifically Rafe.

I couldn't get him out of my damn mind.

I prepared myself for the day in my bedroom, thinking about him the whole time. I wanted to dress appropriately in case I were to see him for whatever reason, so I put on a bikini underneath my black tube top and shorts in case I were to end up at the beach. I made sure I had everything I would need in my backpack before slipping the straps over my shoulders.

I exited my room before heading down the stairs, hearing my dad in the kitchen. I prayed that I could make it out of the house without him noticing, but I didn't pray soon enough.

"Where do you think you're going?" I heard his low voice come from the kitchen, which was behind the foyer. I immediately stopped in my steps and cursed to myself.

"I'm uh, I'm just going to the beach." I told him, which wasn't a complete lie. I was sure of ending up there at some point in my day.

"And why would you be doing that?" My dad asked me and I heard footsteps coming up from behind me.

I slowly turned around to see my dad walking up to me. "There's nothing else to do." I shrugged, trying not to seem intimidated.

"There's nothing else to do?" He questioned me. "Have you seen the damage and debris that are outside? Who do you think's gonna clean all of that up?"

I looked up at him, furrowing my eyebrows. "Do you expect me to clean it up?" I asked him, puzzled at what the debris outside had to do with me.

"After all I've done for you, I would expect you to at least help me clean it up. Is that too much to ask?" He spat at me, raising his voice.

I felt an anger grow inside of me, my body heating up at his tone. He made me so angry. He was off his rocker if he thought that I'd actually help him clean up. I couldn't stand to be in the same room as him, and he couldn't stand to be in the same room as me, what made him think I'd willingly help him?

"I'll be back." I seethed as I now turned around and headed for the front door.

"Don't you dare walk out that door!" He yelled at me as I opened the door. I looked back at him as I walked out the door. I closed the door behind me, my dad still watching. "If you step foot off this property, you're done!" I heard him yell as I continued to walk down to the street. I stopped walking as I approached the end of the property. I looked behind me to see my dad standing on the porch, his arms crossed as he watched me. I smirked as I stepped off the lawn and into the street. "Damnit, Scarlett!" My dad yelled and I laughed to myself, shaking my head as I now began to walk down the street.

What was he going to do? Beat me when I got home? It wasn't anything I wasn't used to.

Now that I made it out of my house, I didn't know where to go. Though it was approaching late morning, people were already outside getting to work as they cut down trees and blew debris off of their property with blowers. I assumed everyone would be too busy cleaning up, so the beach would have to be empty. I decided on going there for the day.

As I walked down the street, I realized I was walking past Kiara's house. I remembered it from last night because John B had dropped her off before dropping me off at home.