xv. coffins interrupted

"𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒇𝒆, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒔."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Halley had slept in Jonathan's room last night. Or, more so stayed in his room. Neither of them were able to fall asleep, but they'd both be damned to be alone after the news.

With her lack of sleep she could understand why she would, at first, be a little hasty to believe that the body in the morgue was her youngest brother. However, even if she hadn't been awake for over a day straight, she knew it in her bones that she would be able to differentiate her brother from anything else. And even though Jonathan nearly hurled when they uncovered the body that was supposed to be Will, she felt nothing.

Something was wrong. Very wrong. It was Will. but it wasn't her brother. No doubt in her mind.

The door closed as Jonathan tripped over himself to get out, but Halley remained still. Staring at an almost exact replica of her baby brother.

"He has a birthmark on his arm. Can I see that?" Joyce asked, bringing Halley out of her thoughts, the coroner lifted up 'Will's' arm, and there was the mark, it was off.

The two noticed it at the same time; the crescent scars directly centered beneath the real mark, weren't there. The one's that Will had been self-conscious about ever since he got them, when Lonnie grabbed him so hard his nails dug into a barely seven year old boy's skin.

Halley ran her hand over her mouth, it wasn't him. Whatever that thing in front of them was, wasn't her brother.

Her pulse was starting to act up again, if that wasn't Will, and Halley had never been more sure about anything in her life, then where was her brother?

Joyce took her hand and pulled them back into the waiting room, seeming to think the same thing. Her jaw was clenched, and when she looked at Halley, waiting for her to say something, she only nodded, which fueled Joyce even more.

The coroner followed them, calling for them to stop. "Ma'am! You need to sign!" They burst into the waiting room, finding Jonathan and Hopper.

Joyce let go of Halley and whirled around on the man, her eyes filled with anger. "I don't.... I don't know what you think that thing in there is, but it is not my son."

"Joyce, now—"

"No!" Halley was quick to cut the chief off, this time not worrying about the possible disrespect.

"Halles." Jonathan was next, to try to convince them they were wrong. But they weren't and they both knew that.

This time, it was Halley's turn to snatch her mom's hand and take the lead, shoving out of the morgue and back into fresh air. She was shaking slightly. "That's not him. That is not Will."