xxviii. do you knock?

"𝑳𝒆𝒕'𝒔 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒃𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"Fuck, fuck, oh, holy shit," Halley cursed. Her heart was beating in pace with the sporadic shots from Nancy's gun.

Jonathan was the first to make a responsible move. "No!" he shouted, pulling Nancy back by her waist. "Go, go, run!" He led the girl down the hallway, locking eyes with Halley for a split second and conveying in that short period of time that she really, really needed to move her ass.

"Goddamnit, come on Harrington!" she snatched his wrist and dragged him behind her as she followed behind her brother. "Jump!" She instructed as they neared the bear trap and wires.

Steve was stumbling; trying to keep up with Halley's terrified pace, once again screaming his mantra of 'oh my god's. Jonathan was holding the door to her room open, ushering them to run faster. "Come on!" he shouted, his eyes darting from them to where he was expecting the monster to appear. When they were finally across the barrier, he slammed the door shut with such force Halley would have berated him had they been in another situation.

"Jesus," Steve said, still staring at the door. "Jesus! What the hell was that?" He was shut down by both Nancy and Jonathan shouting at him to shut up. He complied.

The three, aware of their impending doom, stood in front of Steve, Nancy and Halley holding their respective guns, and Jonathan with his nail bat in one hand and a lighter in the other.

Heaving in breaths, the teens stared at the door, waiting for it to burst open, and begin their battle. The lights continued to flicker, and their nerves only grew more shot. Five seconds went by.

Ten.

Twenty.

"What's it doing?" Nancy whispered, gun still raised, but her tremors started to settle.

"I don't know," Halley said, her own hands still suffering from the rush of adrenaline she had gotten.

A little yellow yoyo, their final alert when the monster was near, hung motionless. When it passed the wire, the yoyo would swing violently, nearly as violently as Halley's body wracked with dry heaves.

"Do you hear anything?" Nancy asked, still waiting for the door to burst open.

Jonathan was the first to speak this time, he clicked the lighter shut as he shook his head. "No." He took a step forward—slowly, keeping his distance as he reached out for the door. The monster surely wasn't smart enough to trick them.

The group—even Steve—was silent as they got the door all the way open. The bear trap was still intact, untouched. The monster had just... disappeared.