ii.xiii that was ... unexpected

"𝑰 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒍."

(CW: Internalized homophobia)

⇜☾✩☽⇝

There were two things Halley wanted. The first was a cigarette. And the second was Jonathan: her other brother who had gone through nearly everything with her the year before. He would be able to calm her nerves, just a little. But he wasn't there. He was off with Nancy, taking down Hawkins' lab.

How? She wasn't totally sure, he didn't give her all the details, just that he and Nancy were going to put an end to them once and for all.

Except, with Jonathan doing something that Joyce would be very against, considering the personal risk that came with trying to dismantle a literal killer operation, Halley was stuck covering for him.

Which, basically, just meant she was holding a shit ton of secrets that she didn't really want to harbor at that point.

A few hours after Hopper left yesterday, Mike had come over, and while Halley and Joyce attempted to finish up the map scattered throughout their house, Will caught Mike up to speed. Bob had come over too. He finished the map faster than Halley thought possible.

So she had resided in her room for the rest of the night. Not really sleeping, just watching the clock on her bedside table. She was happy for her mom—and her brother. They deserved someone to be there for them during this disaster. But, as selfish as it sounded, she was jealous. She wanted someone there for her.

Oddly enough, the person her mind kept wandering to through the night, wasn't Jonathan, or Nancy, or even Caroline. It was Steve. Thinking about how he had seen her when she had stayed over. How he had known she was lying when she said she was fine.

Obviously, she had kept everything a secret, and it was easy to fly under the radar with not so subtly hidden issues when there was a very clear problem going on, but sometimes Halley did wish her family noticed.

She knew they had other things to worry about. Clearly. After all, Will was in contact with some shadow monster, and was having side effects from his connection with it, and Jonathan, finally seen by the girl he'd been head over heels with for forever, was getting the chance to not only be with her, but also take down the people that caused Will's problems in the first place. But still.

Was it so hard to see? She had been sleeping less, drinking borderline dangerous amounts of coffee, and had gone through a pack of cigarettes in a little more than three days.

It was fine though. It was fine because she had it under control, and it wasn't the biggest issue at the moment. She could handle it later. Bring it up and deal with the problem at some other time. When Will was safe.