xxx. these dreams suck

"𝑵𝒐 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒇 𝒅𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒚."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

One Month Later

The December air was nipping at the passerby, but Halley was tucked away safely in the Wheeler household.

Jonathan had dropped her and Will off before going over to the store for some last minute Christmas shopping. He claimed it wasn't for gifts, like he usually did, but Halley knew that like every other year, he procrastinated to the very last minute. They were very similar in that way.

Will was down in the basement with Lucas, Dustin and Mike. Just like they had done for years before. There was something so extraordinary in the total mundanity of it all.

Though, unlike previous times, Halley wasn't there for the boys. Instead of hanging out behind the scenes of their campaigns and doing whatever she could to annoy them, she sat upstairs, hopelessly third wheeling Nancy and Steve. She wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

The couple was sitting on the couch, snuggling together under a blanket while Halley sat across from them on Ted's recliner; it was one of the rare times the man wasn't occupying it.

"No, Halles, you don't understand," Nancy huffed, "I completely bombed this test."

"Bullshit, the lowest grade you've ever gotten was like a B+, and that was when you were out sick for over a month with pneumonia." Halley rolled her eyes, looking to Steve for support, he nodded.

Nancy shoved at her boyfriend, mocking betrayal, "It was a B-."

"My point exactly." Halley crossed her arms over her chest, trying to stop herself from laughing. This was what she had missed. Normality, obviously, but Nancy. After nearly seven years without her, Halley had almost forgotten just how much she needed Nancy in her life. It was a change—a good one—not having her brothers as her only friends.

A cry of excitement came from the basement, interrupting the teens' conversation.

"Did they win?" Nancy laughed, looking at Halley. The girl in question shrugged. She knew a little bit about dungeons and dragons—from what Will had tried to teach her, but she had no idea how to 'win' the game.

Another eruption of cheers came the same time as the doorbell rang. After waiting a beat, and noticing that Nancy was making no move to get up, Halley stood. "No, no, you stay here, I'll get it," she teased, earning a kick from the girl as she walked by.

Opening the door, Halley found Jonathan just about to ring the bell again. "Hey." she gestured inside as she yelled over to Nancy who it was. "Will's downstairs with the boys. I'll meet you outside?" she said. He nodded already making his way to the basement stairs.