xxvi: interdimensional field trip

"𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕. 𝑹𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

The words 'why are you keeping this curiosity door closed' weren't exactly what Halley thought would help them get her brother's science teacher to help them build a sensory deprivation tank, but it worked a hell of a lot better than anything she would have come up with.

Which, of course, led to why they were all in the parking lot of Hawkins Middle school at about eleven on a Saturday night.

Everyone split up, trying in vain to gather supplies and set up the tank as fast as possible. Jonathan and Hopper were handling the 1500 pounds of salt they needed, Mike and Nancy were grabbing hoses from the shed down by the fields, Joyce and El were figuring out the rest of the supplies needed to Eleven's psychosis trip to the other dimension, and Dustin, Lucas and Halley were currently fighting with a pool.

"Goddamn it!" Dustin yelled as the unaccompanied side fell down again. No matter where the three seemed to hold, there was always one area that had just enough give for it to collapse.

Halley dropped her side too, rubbing her mouth, "It's fine. Okay, the walls can't fall in when the waters in it, so we just need to fill the pool, right? Mike and Nancy should be back soon."

And they actually were back soon. As if Dustin's complaining had summoned them, only a few moments later the Wheelers walked through the gym doors with a wheelbarrow full of hoses.

"That's the pool?" Nancy asked as Halley met her halfway to where they had set it down.

The blonde waved the question away. "Don't ask." She shook her head, taking one end of a hose Mike was carrying and following Nancy to the faucet, and instructing him to put the other end in the pool. It was his turn to deal with his very pessimistic friends and their view on the kiddie pool.

Turns out the 'wheelbarrow of hoses' was actually just one long as shit hose, which Nancy connected to the one in Halley's hand before it ran out of slack.

"So," She said as the brunette spun the final hose into place, "is this better or worse than monster hunting?" she kept her voice down, not wanting the boys to hear and get any ideas.

For a moment, the only sound was that of the water rushing over to the pool.

"Probably equally as bad." Nancy kept her right-hand hovering over each diverter valve, waiting for the boys to direct her to the right temperature. "I really hope Barb's okay," she said quietly, then quickly adding as she looked up, "and Will, too, obviously."

Glancing over her shoulder to the boys, who were paying absolutely no attention to them, Halley nodded. "I know. We're gonna get to them. El's gonna find 'em."

"I really hope you're right."

"Colder!" Lucas called out, and Nancy spun the blue valve to the left. "Warmer!" she twisted the blue to the right slightly, while giving the red valve a small turn. "Okay! Stop! Right there!" she stumbled back, keeping her hands behind her and kept away from the valves.