ii.v something seems wrong

"𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒍𝒍𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒕, 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒆,"

⇜☾✩☽⇝

The dream stuck with Halley throughout the next day. During the car ride, as she dropped Will off in his Ghostbusters costume at the middle school, through AP Bio, when she and Caroline dissected a frog heart, through lunch, where she only picked at the sandwich she had brought.

Even as she stood in front of her mirror, pulling her hair into puffed pigtails, she thought about El. It was a dream, she knew that. But it felt like more. Like she had actually seen her. Like El had actually been there.

A horn sounded from outside. Halley tugged a faux leather jacket over her shoulders. The piece was from the high school's annual trip to the Indiana Museum of natural history. She had sneaked away to a nearby thrift shop and gotten a few nice outfits before the teacher even noticed she was gone.

She stopped by the kitchen before leaving, giving her mom a hug, and thanking her once again for attaching the red fabric to the neckline— accentuating the '50's part of her 50's Barbie. She ruffled Will's hair, and told him to have fun, biting back a caution on being careful, and gave Jonathan a mock salute.

There was a vague call for her to have fun from Joyce before the door shut behind her.

Caroline was waiting in her dad's old car. She wasn't usually the driver, and was still fairly new to driving in general, but Jonathan was taking Will, so Halley had relinquished the car to him... with some pushing from their mom.

"You look totally killer," Caroline said, barely waiting for the passenger door to close before pulling out of Halley's driveway. She was dressed in a flowy white sundress, probably too cold for the autumn weather, but she didn't seem to mind. There was a fake, purple and green flower crown sitting atop her head, secured with bobby pins that were just barely noticeable.

"Me? Look at you," Halley laughed, gesturing to her get-up. Originally, she wasn't sure how Caroline was going to make Hamlet's Ophelia work, but looking at her now, she could see that the redhead had planned the costume thoroughly.

She smiled brightly, "You really think so? It's not too much?" she asked, her eyes flickering to Halley before going back to the road ahead. The older girl nodded. "That's good. I was a little worried."

The car jolted as she came to a stop sign. Ignoring Caroline's driving, Halley said, "I can't even remember the last time I went to an actual party." She had hung out at Steve's house, thanks to invitations from Nancy, but a rager with nearly the entirety of Hawkin's high upper class? Not exactly a common occurrence.

"Yeah, I usually don't go...unless you count the sleepovers Robin used to have in freshman year," She paused, neglecting her blinker and turning into Tina's neighborhood, "but you probably don't."