ii.ix hide and seek

"𝑺𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒍, 𝑲𝒊𝒅,"

⇜☾✩☽⇝

As it turned out, Steve didn't actually pick up Nancy that morning. Halley figured that out when Jonathan had found her after their last periods and told her the oldest Wheeler had offered him a ride home. Supposedly, she wanted the company, and Jonathan would be the last to decline such an opportunity.

That left Halley to wait for Will. She was sitting in the car, watching as the other Hawkins' High students drove off, until the parking lot was nearly empty.

Billy was standing by his Camaro with Cindy Polk, looking incredibly bored. Cindy said something, and he shook his head, looking out to the farther parking lot one more time, before angrily getting into his car, Cindy did the same.

Was he seriously leaving Max? Again? Halley should have expected this. How could she have thought Hargrove would have taken what she said with anything more than a grain of salt?

Watching him speed out of the school lot, Halley started up her own car, and drove the barely 30 feet to the middle school.

Most of the kids had already gotten on the bus, or begun walking home, and the outside of the middle school was littered with only the few stragglers left. Still, no sign of Will. Or Max.

Halley slammed her car door shut as she got out, not bothering to lock it. There was something going on, something bad. She could feel it in her stomach, a churning, evil, feeling.

The kids left filing out of the school, were confused, but not necessarily surprised that Halley was in the school. There had times before where she had gone in, looking for the boys, or helping out Mr. Clarke's science class during her study hall, but no one was expecting her to be there at the end of the day.

AV club was not going on. So, there was no reason for the boys to be locked up in the AV room. Yet, she found Max outside the locked door.

"Hey?" She looked down at Max. She was on her knees with an absolutely ravaged paper clip, picking the lock. Where she had learned to do that, Halley didn't know. And to be quite frank, she wasn't sure she wanted to know.

Max didn't look up at her. Instead, she focused on wiggling the small wire deeper into the doorknob until there was an audible click, and the door swung open. She stood up with a triumphant smile plastered across her face.

Unfortunately, it quickly vanished as some fucking slimy thing came running out of the room.

"What the hell?" Halley said, but the boys were already trampling out behind it, practically body slamming Max in the process.

"What was that?" she cried, pushing Dustin off of her.

Dustin, also pushing himself off of Max, seemed almost insulted by the question, "Dart!" he said. This information was completely useless, and did not help Halley at all.