ii.vi first encounters

"𝑨 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆?"

⇜☾✩☽⇝

The night went on, and Halley had spent the majority of it with Caroline outside. They sat on an old wicker bench, watching lightweights puke in the bushes.

She had traded in her solo cup for a cigarette, blowing the smoke away from Caroline, who would subtly wrinkle her nose every time it got near her. She thought she was sneaky, and that Halley didn't notice. But she did.

It was past midnight, and they would be leaving soon; Caroline said her dad would throw a fit if she was out after one. But they were taking their time.

Tina's house had outside lights, it reminded Halley of Christmas decorations, but less red and green. They were little yellow bulbs strung through the trees and plugged into an outlet on the side of the garage. It gave the yard a mellow feel.

The two sat facing each other, Caroline's knees were stacked on top of each other with her head resting on the back of the couch, and Halley sat with one leg outstretched and the other pulled up to her chin.

Blowing out a puff of smoke, she waved it away before directing her attention to Caroline. "Wanna get going? It's probably better to leave before the plastered decide to get behind the wheel."

A gruff voice spoke before Caroline could answer, "leaving so soon?" Billy Hargrove stood behind them with his own cigarette in hand. Tommy H and Jason Carver stood behind him.

The two girls spared each other a glance, wordlessly asking the other why Billy had decided to show up and talk to them now.

"Well, come on." He said, resting his hand in between them. Caroline picked her head up, obviously unwelcoming to Billy's close proximity. "No need to be so cold."

Halley looked him over. There was something about the less than poisonous way he spoke that made her think that it wasn't totally a trap—which would be new, considering Tommy was involved.

Similar to many of the boys she had seen, he was shirtless, aside from the open vest he wore, displaying a sweaty six pack. It wasn't that his presence was off putting, but it didn't exactly feel innocent either.

"Did you need something?" she asked, pointing her chin up to him in a matter of fact way.

He raised his eyebrows, his hand inching closer to her rather than Caroline. "I heard you'd be someone to meet Byers," he looked back to the boys before continuing, "Tommy here said not to bother, but I just couldn't help myself." he licked his lips. It was menacing; his face was nearly expressionless, eyes blazing with a fire that could only be described as predatory.

Sure, he was hot, but it looked like Caroline's original judge of character had been way better than her own, not to mention he was clearly drunk out of his mind.