ii.x what the hell was that

"𝑰 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘!"

⇜☾✩☽⇝

Lucas had been given the task of finding the others while Mike and Halley tried desperately to get Will to react to anything.

"Will? Will, come on, can you hear me?" Mike was saying, shaking his shoulder. He had tried shouting, waving his hand in front of Will's closed eyes, and still, nothing. With that extensive list, Halley couldn't believe nothing was working.

She was holding his hands. If not to bring him out of his trance, to give herself some sort of comfort.

"Halley, what do we do?" Mike cried, looking up to her, "Halley!"

"I don't know!" her heart was pounding in her ears, "Just keep trying to get him out of it." She wasn't trying to hide the fear in her voice. She didn't care at that point. All she cared about was Will being okay.

There had only been a few times she had witnessed Will's 'episodes', and every time, as soon as someone made contact with him, he would be brought back to real life. But there was something wrong. Whatever he was going through was stronger. It was holding him tighter. Something wanted him to be in the Upside Down. But why?

"Will!" Halley's head shot up at the sound. Lucas was running back to them with Dustin, Max, and Joyce in tow. She had never been more relieved to hear her mother's voice.

Mike, still holding on to Will, turned, brightening at the sight of an adult. "We just found him like this, I think he's having another episode." Mike took a step back as Joyce took Halley's spot, her hands falling on Will's shoulders as she gently shook him.

"Will! Will, Will!" she shouted. The kids were standing off to the side, completely dumbfounded. In any other situation, Halley told herself she would check on them, make sure they were also okay. But she couldn't bring her attention away from Will. The whites of his eyes flashed under his eyelids, and she could see his covered pupils flitting back and forth. Like he was reading a book. "Sweetie! Wake up, it's Mom," Joyce tried again, looking over her shoulder to Halley. "Will!"

His body was trembling. It was slight, and barely noticeable, if anything, it could be blamed on the breeze, but Halley knew that wasn't it. It wasn't just any 'episode'. It was far, far worse.

"Wake up!" Joyce's hands fell to his arms, then raised to cup his cheeks. "Will! Can you hear me?" She pushed hair from his face, trying in vain to get any kind of reaction out of him. "Will! Wake up!" She was panicking, but in her defense, so was Halley. "It's Mom, it's me!"

Will's eyes snapped open. He was gasping for air, hyperventilating as he fell against Joyce.

When the initial shock wore off. Halley was the first to speak. Forcing her voice to stay level, she said, "Okay. Mom, you take him home. I'll meet you there." Joyce didn't say anything, but she nodded. Her arms were still wrapped tightly around Will's frail figure. She helped him walk back to the school.