xxiii. troy walsh slander

"𝑯𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒕𝒐𝒏'𝒔 𝒂 𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒌,"

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

They were brought back to the police station. Jonathan was handcuffed to one of the empty desks, and Nancy sat beside him, holding ice she had gotten from Flo up to his cheek. Halley stood off to the side, watching as Callahan filed paperwork. Her adrenaline had worn off and now she just felt shitty.

The door burst open. "Hey." oh shit. Halley recognized that voice. "Jonathan, Halley?" Joyce stopped in front of her son, checking his face, tilting his cheek, "Jesus, what happened?

"I'm fine." he went unnoticed.

"Why is he wearing handcuffs?" Joyce demanded, first from Callahan, then looked over to Halley.

Callahan, like the dick he was, said simply, "Your boy assaulted a police officer, that's why."

"Bullshit! He barely touched you!" Halley cried, however, she also went unnoticed.

"Take them off." Joyce demanded, her face getting the stoney look it got when Halley was younger and Lonnie had done something stupid.

Callahan shook his head, sending a small glare over to Halley. "I'm afraid I can't do that."

However, Joyce was never really one to listen to authority. "Take them off!" she shouted. Halley couldn't help but smile.

"You heard her. Take 'em off." Hopper stood behind her like a protective shadow. Callahan sighed.

Powell, appearing from the front, had a grave look on his face, a much different dynamic than the frantic and frankly, a bit aggressive, everyone already in the room had. "Chief. I get everyone here is emotional, but I've got something you need to see."

The three officers left before Jonathan could be set free.

To say Joyce was furious would be an understatement. She was silent for a generous amount of time, just glaring at her kids, until she heard a chime from a clock in another room, which seemed to set her off. "What the hell are you two doing here?"

"Mom, I get you're mad, seriously, but—" Jonathan cleared his throat, cutting Halley off before she explained herself. He shook his head. It was stupid, why would they keep it from Joyce when she already knew about the demogorgon, she had seen it. More than once. It wasn't fair.

Nancy spoke up, before the siblings could get into an argument. "It's my fault, Mrs. Byers. Jonathan was... protecting me from someone I thought was a friend."

"I'm sure he was." Callahan. Those bastards really didn't take their sweet time. They were gone for maybe three minutes; five, if the awkward silence was as long as it felt.

Hopper dropped their cardboard box of things on the desk. As the officers glowered down at the teens, Joyce was quick to savage through it, "What is this?"