XXIII

I woke up to Eric gone, a slight headache and he didn't text or leave a note or anything. I wasn't expecting him to he doesn't owe me anything, but I guess I thought he'd do more. Lying in the bed a little longer I stare at the invite on my nightstand. I shuffle out of bed to go for a morning run before I shower and get to school. Pulling my hair up I grab the keys and rush out to desperately to get coffee before classes. There is food outside my door, Eric pops into mind and I know it was him. I should text him and thank him; grabbing up the food I go back inside to eat. I get to the school and sit amongst my few classes before heading to the coffee shop. Opening the door, I step inside and no one's behind the counter. I call for Elijah and he comes running a smile plastered on his face as if he's been up to something. Jordan comes from the back as well her hair is sprawled out and she's got that devious look on her face. Those two better not be having sex on top of the bags of coffee beans.

"What were you to up to back there?"

Elijah clears his throat, "Maia this is a cafe with actual paying customers, we wouldn't be doing anything as your dirty as  your mind would go."

Jordan comped from behind the counter, "I tried but he resisted so here we are..." We all laugh and Jordan tells Elijah, "Get her the usual."

"So there's a guy." Her eyes grow big and she drags me to our table. I sit facing the glass and she spits, "Spill!"

"His name is Marcus." I tell her all about him from the first meeting, as well as the dance, the restaurant debacle and the way I'm feeling about him. At some point Elijah sat with us and placed my coffee in front of me. I chose not to tell them about Eric coming by afterwards. I don't want them to worry about something so harmless. Jordan is uncharacteristically quiet, which is making me blab on more stuff about him that isn't really necessary to share.

Elijah speaks up first, "Can't wait to meet him Mai."

Jordan forces a smile, "So things are really over between you and Eric then?"

"Well we—" My focus gets distorted when I see Elijah going behind the bar to help the latest walk in. I notice the jacket and the stance, what is he doing here? I rise from my seat and get the faintest scent of his Burberry cologne. It is him, I jump up and hug him from behind.

"What are you doing here? Did you stalk my friends in hopes of seeing me?"

He turns around and smiles, Elijah looking on has the complete terror on his face and is giving me the look,' Why is she harassing our customers?' I smile and point at Marcus showing them that he is in fact the guy. Marcus comes into give me a proper hug.

"Actually, I came because you raved about the coffee at this place."

"I distinctly recall telling you that my friends own this shop as well."

He smirks, "Did you? Must've slipped my mind."

I can't help but to smile as I look at him. He looks so cute, his broad shoulders and toothy grin, I can tell he's happy to see me. Marcus is so cute, sweet, and considerate— 

Elijah taps on the counter, "Maia you guys want to stop staring at each other and grab a seat."

I take Marcus to sit with Jordan and formally introduce them. The entire time Jordan seemed a bit off, she was smiling, polite, and talking to him, but I could tell something was on her mind. Instead of indulging whatever it could be bugging her I decide to ignore it and focus on Marcus. He was the epitome of sweet the entire time; smiling, joking, laughing everything about him is pulling me deeper into him. 

"Well since I'm here can I take you out?" I nod and he looks at Elijah and Jordan asking, "You guys don't mind if I steal her from you do you?"

Walking through the city hand in hand I get the feeling that he's got something on his mind. He smiles and kisses my hand his hair is blowing a little on top his head. The wind is harsh as we go against the flow of it. I rest my head on his arm and talk about all the things we have planned for the week and he brings up his upcoming trip.