Chapter 72: Shadowing the Suspicious Behaviour

Y/N POV

After that mysterious Natalia girl seemingly vanished into thin air. I eventually came to the conclusion that I would be best continuing with my original objective of heading to the top of that 'Monument' where I could finally get the answers I was after from Alex.

All seemed to be going well at first, I encountered a few Afflicted as well as those dog-like creatures however I dealt with them almost instantly. I continued to draw nearer to the base of the Monument before I rounded a corner and spotted Neil, also heading in that same direction.

Now of course, as you already know, I had suspicions about Neil almost instantly. Spending so much time around people like Albert, I had grown to detect people who were untrustworthy and Neil had given me those vibes almost instantly.

Firstly there was his bracelet. Not once while we were here had it changed colour, it had remained that same bright green meaning he was completely calm despite everything that was happening. In fact, looking at him now from my hiding spot, I saw that this was still the case.

The only other people who still had green lights on their bracelets were me and Claire and that was likely due to the fact that we had both been in similar situations to this one right here. But what we Neil's excuse? Either he was extremely brave or there was something he was hiding.

Secondly, there was his insistence on splitting up from the other Terrasave members. He did it once with Pedro and Gabe in the forest and from the looks of things, he had also split up from Claire and Moira as well. Again, it seemed he had something he didn't want others around for.

This though proved to be the perfect opportunity, perhaps if I shadowed Neil's footsteps, I would possibly gain some insight into what he whatever he was keeping secret. And it was curious to me if Alex knew of his intentions if he had any.

Needless to say, I followed him, sticking to the shadows as to not alert him to my presence. Neil kept his handgun at the ready constantly, shooting at any Afflicted that crossed his path. I will admit, he was quite impressive, he must have had some sort of militaristic training as all the other Terrasave members seemed pretty clumsy with their weapons with the exception of Claire of course.

I continued trailing behind Neil for what felt like a while and once again, he stopped to engage some Afflicted. This time though, as I was hidden from sight, I was actually spotted by one Afflicted who appeared behind me and began making its way over to me.

Normally, I would have just shot it right there and then however this time, I couldn't make any noise. This only proved to be a minor problem for me as I just kept hiding until the Afflicted got close enough for me to attack. I swiftly emerged from the shadows, grabbed the B.O.W and pulled it towards me into the shadows of the alley I was hiding in.

After that, I killed it silently by snapping its neck before turning back to the matter at hand as I observed Neil finish off the remaining Afflicted, by this point I noticed we were getting closer to the tower. I smirked, it seemed I would be killing two birds with one stone after all.

Though as soon as we reached the plaza at the base of the Monument, I was surprised when a helicopter suddenly appeared! I soon recognized it as the same one Gabe was piloting, I guess he got it fixed after all.

I glanced back to Neil and saw that he too was hiding out of view. I also noticed Claire, Moira and surprisingly, that Natalia were all stood around looking up at the helicopter. This moment of relief was soon shattered when I heard Alex's voice once again on the bracelet.

"My escape is death, but not this one." 

Abruptly the helicopter began spiralling out of control, judging by how Alex's comment was the same as earlier with Pedro, I assumed she had triggered the virus within Gabe causing him to spiral out of control.

My attention was once again drawn to Neil though, in the distraction caused by Gabe, I saw him walk up to Natalia and abruptly cover her mouth before pulling him away, Claire and Moira may not have noticed this, but I did.

This only solidified my suspicion about Neil as I saw him hastily rush INSIDE the Monument, Natalia in his grasp. I muttered to myself "Oh no you don't-." I then followed after him, right before I entered though, I saw the helicopter crash into the wall and explode, presumably killing Gabe in the process.

As the door shut behind me though, I turned around and analysed my surroundings. I grinned to myself, finally within the Monument itself. According to Alex, she was at the very top of the large tower. I would just have to make my way up from here.

I headed straight for a series of stairs. I encountered multiple Afflicted along the way however I just blasted my way through them. My goal was so close, I couldn't let anything get in my way...

Timeskip...

I continued making my way through the tower until I stopped upon hearing a familiar voice inside an open room. I hid outside and peered around to see Neil stood over by a large computer console talking to himself.

I remained hidden and listened in on his conversation and upon hearing what he said my eyes widened. His words confirmed my theory! Neil WAS hiding something and that something was that he had ratted out his fellow Terrasave members, however it was his reasoning that I hadn't suspected. 

He had his head in his hands as he muttered "Gina, Pedro, Gabe, they're all gone now. And it's all my fault. Damn that Wesker bitch." At first he seemed almost regretful for his actions however out of no where his mindset did a complete flip as he began convincing himself.

"No, it needed to be done. For the good of the FBC. They would understand, if they saw the global security the FBC could make they would understand." From his indirect confession, I was left surprised by TWO details.

Firstly while I knew from the beginning that Neil was up to something, I didn't think that he would actually be working with Alex. Secondly was that I never suspected that Neil would have been with the long-defunct FBC!

I knew about the Terragrigia Panic seven years ago. I also knew of the FBC's involvement. In fact, I remember briefly being contacted by Lansdale himself around that time, however that was the same time I was sent to Spain and had my encounter with Los Illuminados. Besides I was convinced he just wanted another scapegoat along with Veltro to shift blame from himself.

With this new knowledge on Neil. I entered the room and let out a cough causing him to spin around and look at me in shock. I just grinned at him before saying in a sarcastic and also semi-threatening manner.

"Well well, the FBC? I'd have never have thought. I knew there was something off about you from the very beginning Fisher, how about we have a little talk about that..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. Y/N finally has figured out the truth about Neil, but how will he react after being given a more in-depth explanation? I really do hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.