DON'T TOUCH MY SCIENCE STUFF

I let out a long breath, glancing at my phone. When Fury had told me that I would be closely working with Jane Foster, I hadn't expected this. At all. I look up at the door, knowing I was at the right spot. I knock quickly, knowing that they're inside.

        "JANE!"

        "Darcy! I'm working on something!"

        "SOMEONE'S AT THE DOOR!"

        "Then answer it!"

        "WHAT IF IT'S THE MAIL GUY!" There's angry grumbling, and the door swings opens after a few seconds. Jane Foster freezes, her jaw dropping. She's just sort of staring at me.

        "So, can I ask about the mail guy?" I ask after a few moments of silence.

        "WHO IS IT?" The scream comes from deeper in the apartment. Jane doesn't show any signs of moving or saying anything. I'm slightly tempted to wave my hand in front of her face.

        "NOT THE MAIL GUY!" I yell back. There's a pause, and then footsteps.

        "Holy shit. You're an avenger." I give a small wave.

        "How could you tell? Was it the scars? The silver hair? The gold eyes?" I ask sarcastically. Darcy nods, eyes wide. It goes silent, and I shift on my feet, glancing around.

        "What, um, what are you doing here?" Jane finally forces out. I hold out my hand, and she hesitantly shakes it.

        "I'm Ophelia, and I'm your new babysitter."

        "What?" Darcy asks, a confused look on her face.

        "Don't give me that look. I'm only here because I'm being paid and ordered to be here. If you want to complain, go talk to the director of SHIELD, but I'm going to warn you, I already filed a complaint and nothing changed." Darcy smiles.

        "I like her. Can we keep her Jane?" Jane just sends Darcy a glare, and I pull a pout.

        "What? Seriously?" Jane asks.

        "Well it's not like you have a choice." I reply with a shrug. "I'm moving into your spare room."

        "Wait, what? You're joking, right? How did you know I had a spare room?" Jane questions.

        "SHIELD knows everything." I murmur. "I wish I was joking." I pick up my suitcase from behind me before facing Jane again. "So, what's for dinner?"

        "This isn't happening." Jane murmurs.

        "I wish it wasn't either. Let's talk about it while I unpack."

        "Can you show us your laser eyes?" Darcy asks suddenly. Jane glares again. "For scientific purposes, obviously." She covers. I giggle a little, shaking my head.

        "Not unless you want something in your apartment to blow up."

        "I'm okay with that."

        "Darcy!" Jane exclaims. "No! none of this is happening. I moved to London to get away from all of the craziness. I didn't want anything to follow me here."

        "Well, since that plan failed, how about you let me in?" I ask, setting my suitcase back down and crossing my arms over my chest.

        "I don't-"

        "Look," I cut her off, "I literally cannot leave. If I do, I lose my job, which means I lose my only source of income, which means I'll be homeless again. Do you really want to be the reason I become homeless again?" Darcy looks to Jane.

        "You don't wanna make her homeless." Darcy says, and Jane sighs. After a long moment, she moves, opening the door a little wider.

        "You can come in, but you aren't staying." Jane murmurs. I smile at her, grabbing my suitcase and walking inside. I feel my phone buzz once, and I quickly pull it out.

        "Hello?"

        "You said you were going to move into the tower, not sleep here once or twice a month."

        "I'm on a mission, Stark." I mutter. "Blame Fury."

        "I wanted to mess with your powers."

        "The more you talk, the more I'm glad I have a mission." I mutter under my breath. Darcy is gaping at me, and when I give her a look, she mouths, "Tony Stark" at me. I shrug, rolling my eyes.

        "No, but I had this idea for an experiment where you-"

        "Tony."

        "What?"

        "I'm going to hang up now. Only call me if there is an actual emergency." I hear him sigh.

        "Well that isn't any fun."

        "Goodbye Stark. Go bother Steve." I hang up before he can protest, letting out a long breath. "Sorry." I look back to Jane and Darcy. "That might happen.... well, all the time."

        "You aren't staying." Jane repeats, looking extremely flustered.

        "Look...." I trail off, shaking my head. "I am sorry about this. This was not my idea, I don't think it's a good idea, but I'm stuck here." Jane slowly closes her door, not looking me in the eye.

        "Did they tell you why I needed you to be here?" She asks, and I shake my head no. "Nothing?"

        "No, sorry. Other than the whole, you and Thor thing, I have no clue what I'm doing here." Jane purses her lips.

        "Neither do I." She whispers. After a few beats of silence, she straightens, looking me in the eye. "Darcy lives here too."

        "Okay."

        "We have ways we go about our days."

        "Alright. So do I."

        "You don't touch my science stuff."

        "I wasn't planning on it since I don't really care or understand it." I shoot back, and she nods once. "I'll help cover rent?" I offer, and she hesitates.

        "Guest room is down that hall, third door on the right." She mutters. I nod once, sending her a small smile. I turn to leave, but Jane stops me again. "Did Thor...." She trails off. "Did he say anything about me?"

        "I know he made sure you were safe." I reply, understanding. "That was his priority before the battle. Before everything went wrong." Darcy shoots Jane a slightly worried look.

        "He couldn't even stop by though, could he." It isn't a question, but I answer anyway.

        "Loki just took up everyone's time. Thor had to get him back to Asgard." She nods once.

        "Okay." I can't help but feel bad for her.

        "I can buy pizza for us tonight? You guys can ask me anything. A sort of get to know you." I offer, hoping to distract her. "Maybe I can use my laser eyes to shoot something out the window?" She sends me a weak smile, though I see Darcy grinning.

        "Yeah. Sure." She nods again, walking past me and down the hallway. I watch as she disappears into one of the rooms, and I frown.

        "I really am sorry about this." I tell Darcy, but she shrugs.

        "I think this is awesome. I mean, seriously. This is insane. Jane though.... it'll take her a few days to get used to you." Darcy explains. I send her a tight smile.

        "I'll go unpack." I murmur.

        "And then laser eyes?" I can't help but laugh at her childish eagerness.

        "Fine. Then laser eyes."