𝟐𝟏

- A Chill In The Air

A little while later, Esme had returned back to the festival making her way over towards Mary as she watched as Elijah stormed away with a frustrated look on his face, " what was that all about?" Esme asked raising her brows at her sister

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it" Mary assured placing a smile on her face as she spun around to face her sister who sent her a suspicious look, " Really. Everything's fine it's just a spat I'll speak with him later"

Esme nodded her head with an amused look on her face as she stared at Mary and began teasing her, " So, you and Elijah is it anything serious?" Mary let out a deep breathe rolling her eyes in annoyance and responded, " I think so. I really like him but I hardly know him and you know mother wouldn't approve I'm a Queen I have to marry for an alliance"

The two girls continued making small talk telling one another about their worries when suddenly a familiar voice called out, " Esme!" Both twins turned around seeing Kenna rush over to them, " what happened? Why is Olivia staying?"

"She's not" the brunette resorted with a frown on her face glancing at her sister and Kenna with a look of confusion on her face as Francis had sworn that Olivia wouldn't be staying here at the castle for much longer especially since all it's complicated her relationship with Francis.

Kenna tilted her head to the side with a puzzled look and informed her, " but her belongings were recovered from the woods, and they're being unpacked in the east wing" Esme frowned looking down at the ground feeling her heart beat rapidly against her chest wondering why Olivia was staying when she had told Francis she doesn't feel comfortable around his ex lover and he promised he would sort everything out.

"You must be mistaken. They must be preparing her for her trip to Paris" Mary spoke up holding her sisters hand squeezing it in attempt to comfort her but Esme wasn't sure what to believe anymore as ever since Olivia had come to court everything had gone down hill for the Princess of Scotland.

Kenna shook her head in response as she glanced at Esme in sympathy and told the twins, " A servant told me. I'll inquire again. Discreetly" Kenna spoke seeing the look on her best friends face placing her hand on her arm before spinning around and making her way through the crowd.

Esme took a deep breathe grabbing her sisters wine from her hand and taking a gulp when Catherine approached the twins, " Looks like your lady had a new necklace. So blatantly disrespectful" Catherine harshly spoke causing Esme and Mary to share confusion looks before speaking in simultaneous, " We're not sure what you mean"

Catherine blinked a couple of times as she always hated it when the two Scottish twins did that when they were children and seemed like they still spoke in sync now, " I mean that Kenna wears a necklace given to me as a first anniversary gift from my husband, the king. Her lover"