𝟑𝟒

- For King And Country

Mary was standing in the middle of the throne room as Henry made his way down the steps to stand next to his wife and called out, " I assume you've asked for this meeting because you've made you decision

Mary was standing in the middle of the throne room as Henry made his way down the steps to stand next to his wife and called out, " I assume you've asked for this meeting because you've made you decision. Will you accept the fact that Esme will Marry Francis or will you be forced to watch Bash's execution?"

"Neither." Mary answered with a scowl on her face narrowing her eyes at the King who had an confused look on his face sharing a look with his wife and questioned, " what's this?" Mary stayed silent for a moment before she sighed and spoke up, " I have a third option. One I think you would be most interested in. I will stake my claim on English and instead of my sister marrying Francis, I will marry your son but not Francis. Bash. Legitimize him and make him the next King of France"

Henry clenched his haw staring at Mary in disbelief before gesturing for the Queen of Scotland and the Queen of France to follow him as he burst into his meeting room with a look of anger on his face and demanded, " explain yourself"

Mary rolled her eyes following after Henry and explained, " you want England. I want something in return" Henry huffed turning around with a heated glare on his face and snapped, " you are talking about changing the line of succession of France"

"Bash as King, this is laughable" Cathrine stated with a shake of her head chuckling lightly in amusement as Mary turned her attention to Henry and informed, " bastards are being legitimized all over Europe. I believe the Vatican will favor this arrangement"

Henry frowned with an confused look narrowing his eyes at Mary and suspiciously questioned, " how could you know that?" Cathrine looked between the two with a look of horror on her face as Mary continued speaking, " you said yourself, they want England as badly as you do. They will do anything to keep it from falling into the hands of the Protestants"

"You were against this claim before" Cathrine pointed out with a threatening look on his face knowing if Bash was to become kill Henry wouldn't hesitate to behead the Queen of France and make Diane De Poitiers his next Queen.

"That was before I knew my mother's wishes and how much pressure her advisors were putting her under for one of her daughters to marry the next king of France to take England claim" Mary explained turning her attention away from Cathrine and towards Henry with an accusing look, " it seems Scotland will be going off to England no matter what I think but only with Bash at my side"

Henry nodded his head in understanding staring at Mary and suggested, " So I'll make him a duke, or an Earl." Cathrine pointed towards her husband in agreement only for Mary to shake her head in disagreement and stated, " Half measures won't do. I need to be married to the man who commands the King's armies"

"There'd be civil unrest. The nobles may reject it, it makes our country appear unstable and I'd have to convince the Pope to annul our marriage. Are you not acquainted with my very determined wife?" Henry sarcastically asked eyeing his wife across the cross as Mary sent Cathrine a pointed look recalling their conversation and commented, " perhaps your wife will agree because at her core she is more selfless than you think"