𝟐𝟔

- Left Behind

Esme was dressed in a beautiful dark gray dress as she stood looking out over the balcony at the sight of Henry and his men leaving to travel to Lorraine with the trumpets playing

Esme was dressed in a beautiful dark gray dress as she stood looking out over the balcony at the sight of Henry and his men leaving to travel to Lorraine with the trumpets playing. The Princess of Scotland frowned as she looked into the crowd to spot Francis or Sebastian she was startled when Cathrine suddenly appeared next to her, " I don't see Bash or Francis. Isn't it the custom for every able bodied man to ride war with the King?" Esme curiously questioned turning to face Cathrine.

"Oh, it's not war. Just a minor display of temper by some peasants our Sebastian's probably out riding at the front with the King and Francis is currently with his brothers" Cathrine explained as she shrugged her shoulders casually, " men must find something to kill from time to time. It's a pity they can't live harmoniously like women"

Esme rolled her eyes in annoyance before she turned to look at Cathrine raising her brows in response and asked, " Harmoniously? Like you and me?" The Queen of France shook her head with a sympathetic look on her face hearing about what had happened between her son and Esme and corrected, " Oh, I was thinking more of you and Olivia. What a sweet, generous girl you are. She and Francis can't keep away from each other and you just take it in stride. That's not the girl I remember you're stubborn and always had something to say and I don't understand why you let my son treat you like this"

" I understand that Francis wants some distance between us to figure things out on his own. I think he just wants a bit of freedom but what I didn't expect was for Francis to so quickly run into Olivia's arms" Esme commented with a saddened expression on her face looking down at the ground with a frown.

Catherine shook her head as she felt for the brunette knowing what it was like for the man you love to push you aside just for some other women, " I know it must be hard knowing that another girl has his heart and you just soldier on, in hopes that soon enough the alliance will shift and you'll get your happy ending but that is not how it works in the real world"

"You have no idea what is in Francis heart" Esme snapped narrowing her eyes at Cathrine who let out a small sigh and explained, " I know how my son feels for you. He cares deeply for you Esme but he's letting his head cloud his judgement and soon enough he'd realize what a great mistake he's made. I just hope that he sorts things out with you before it too late and he looses you for good this time"

Esme gulped as avoided eye contact with the Queen before sending one last look to the men making their way away from the castle as she spun around and started walking away to search for Francis knowing that the two would have to talk and she would do it sooner rather than later as of right now she wanted to avoid him at any cost after finding out he's been sleeping with Olivia.

The Princess walked into the room where Francis and Charles where play fighting with forks causing a small smile to appear on her face at the sight but it soon disappeared when she remembered why she came to find Francis in the first place.