𝟒𝟓

- Liege Lord

"From the sultan in Constantinople" A servant called out making his way over towards Esme and Francis who were standing in the throne room due to the celebration of Esme and Francis marriage as the married couple was still receiving wedding gifts

"From the sultan in Constantinople" A servant called out making his way over towards Esme and Francis who were standing in the throne room due to the celebration of Esme and Francis marriage as the married couple was still receiving wedding gifts. " How long will they keep coming?" Esme curiously questioned in surprise as her eyes widened in disbelief causing Francis to chuckle at the expression on her face and informed, " Oh, my mother said gifts for her wedding were drifting in for a good year"

Esme gasped with a shake of her head looking up at Francis who wrapped his arm around her waist as the servant opened up the box making a grateful smile appear on his face, " A bridle" he called out pulling out the item as the servant informed him, "for the Arabian thoroughbred now in your stables, Your Grace" a round of applause was heard from those gathered around Esme and Francis when suddenly King Henry appeared behind them startling Esme as he spoke up, " better try it on your wife. It may help you to keep her in hand"

Esme frowned sharing a concerned look with Francis as loud laughter was heard at the King's attempt of a joke. Francis placed a fake smile on his lips letting out a false laugh when he looked in the direction of the musicians and ordered, " Music. Care for a dance?" Esme smiled brightly grabbing ahold of his hand as he led the two of them to the dance floor, " Thank you for understanding"

"Does the court truly not notice the change in your father?" Esme curiously questioned sending a smile to Mary who was dancing with Elijah happily across the room. Francis shook his head in response with a worried expression on his face and confessed, " any who do are keeping their mouths shut and the rest attribute my fathers behaviour to his temper" Esme nodded her head as they circled around one other letting each other's hands go as they began to dance, " France cannot be governed by a mad king"

Francis took Esme hand spinning her around to her back was pressed against his chest with their hands raised high as he smiled sadly at the thought of his father who had changed before he had gotten married to Esme he just didn't realise until he got back from their trip, " He's ill, Esme. They can find no trace of poison, perhaps something is wrong. He needs our compassion. Time to recover"

Esme spun herself out of his arms as she placed one hand on his shoulder and the other placed softly in his arm as they continued dancing across the room to the melody that was playing, " and what if he doesn't recover?" Esme inquired as she looked into his ocean blue eyes causing him to sigh with a thoughtful look on his face and replied, " my mother's doing her best to divert important matters from the King to her; trying to run the country behind my father's back. Keeping the world from seeing his sick he is. These days he seems infatuated by Penelope. He barely even notices affairs of state, she may be a blessing in disguise"

Esme turned her head watching Penelope and Henry laughing and talking with one another as Francis led her off the dance floor as the princess of Scots pressed a sweet kiss to his lips before excusing herself making her way over to her sister, Kenna and Greer when suddenly Lord Julien called out with a beaming smile on his face and his hand entwined with Lola's, " I have an announcement to make. The beautiful creature standing beside me has agree to be my wife"