𝟓𝟓

- Higher Ground

A short while later, Mary made her way outside towards the courtyard to speak with Sebastian about the whole ordeal regarding hiring an mercenary to steal money from Queen Catherine in hopes that she and her sister will able to save their mother a...

A short while later, Mary made her way outside towards the courtyard to speak with Sebastian about the whole ordeal regarding hiring an mercenary to steal money from Queen Catherine in hopes that she and her sister will able to save their mother as they've tried everything else and the two can only seem to rely on one another especially when it came to Scotland and would go to all lengths to make sure their mother escaped the Protestant rebels who wants the head of Marie de Guise.

Sebastian eyes widen in shock as he stared at Mary as he couldn't believe on what he was hearing and asked, " you hired a mercenary to kidnap Catherine?" Mary looked down at the ground with a guilty expression on her face before turning to look up at Sebastian with a shake of her head and grumbled, " I didn't mean for it to go so far but yes, now to get out of it. I have to pin the crime on someone else"

"If you do that, you'd sent an innocent to their death" Sebastian replied narrowing his eyes at the brunette who scoffed in disbelief with a look of conflict on her face and harshly snapped, " I don't know what I'm capable of anymore, to be frank but there is one possibility. For months Esme's been trying to figure out which of Catherine's men participated in the massacre of our countrymen at the brothel. Sometime ago, she paid a servant to track down one of the prostitutes who escaped, to find some descriptions of the men involved. According to the prostitute, one of the men had a scar on his left cheek from brow to chin"

Sebastian frowned in response, "lots of men have scars" he firmly stated raising his brows at the Princess of Scotland. " He also badly burned his hands after the massacre" Mary added in trying to get Bash to go with her plan to blame this man who had killed hers and Esme's countrymen. " this isn't justice. It's solving your problems with the blood of another. I know how this goes, as do you. That's why you came to me"

"You killed someone in the woods" Mary trailed off with a thoughtful expression blinking away the tears that began to form, " when the pagans forced you to choose a sacrifice" Sebastian sadly smiled as he glanced over at Mary with a longingly expression on his face as he saved Esme life because of the love he has for Mary, " I did it for you and for myself. I murdered a man, who was about to kill another and to this day I wonder, did he have a family? Did he die for his own beliefs or was he simply acting on the orders of those above him? Is he really as guilty as I thought at the time?"

Mary frown deepened as she took in Sebastian's words before she curiously questioned, "what's the answer?" Bash sighed heavily as he sent Mary a pointed look making sure if she was completely sure to go ahead with this and warned, " the answer is you have to be sure cause if there is any doubt in your mind, your conscience won't ever let you rest again"

Mary frowned in response nodding her head saying a quick goodbye to Sebastian before making her way back into the castle as she searched for the man she and her sister saw this morning who was standing post outside of Hortenza's chambers only for her to raise her brows in confusion watching the two of them speak quietly before the man walked away. Hortenza gasped in fright when Mary appeared in front of her placing a smile on her lips and greeted her, " Mary. What a talent you have for sneaking up on people"