𝟓𝟖

- Long Live The King

Henry and Francis Valois were currently in the woods, Francis thought it would be a good idea to take his father hunting in attempt to get through to him due to recently the Kings actions have gone completely insane  and is only doing this for him...

Henry and Francis Valois were currently in the woods, Francis thought it would be a good idea to take his father hunting in attempt to get through to him due to recently the Kings actions have gone completely insane and is only doing this for himself and himself only putting his men and his county at risk, " there is nothing quite like the feast of a fresh kill. I feel cleaner, stronger, ready to take on England" Henry commented turning to glance at his son with a determined look on his face.

"But to stage an invasion now, before we have replenished our forces, is it not better to wait?" Francis questioned his father, earning a small smile from his father in response as he nudged Francis slightly and stated, " You know, Francis. We should of done this a long time ago. All those hunting trips I shared with your brother, I regret not having had these moments with you"

Francis smiled at his father words as he let out a heavy sigh turning to face the fire as he curiously questioned, "why do you push so hard to conquer England?" Henry stayed silent for a moment before answering his son's question, " perhaps I am more ambitious than most Kings. It was my father who taught me to push hard. Oh, he expected a great deal from his sons. Did you know he was as captured by the Spaniards? I was six or seven at the time. They imprisoned him in Madrid, under the cruelest conditions"

"One day, my brother and I were taken to visit him" Henry continued with a thoughtful expression on his face as he recalled the last time he saw his father, " He saw our boat and he ran to us. I ran to him. He passed us by and jumped in the boat. We'd been traded as hostages for his freedom" Francis frown deepened in confusion as he listened to his father closely before he inquired, " why did he let that happen?"

Henry sighed as he turned to face Francis and informed, " He was the one who arranged it. Sons must sacrifice for their fathers. This is the lesson. I learnt it with my brother, beaten and starved for three years. When we returned... there was no loving embrace. He was a hard man to please. Like god" after a moment, Francis wiped a tear that escaped his eye from the story Henry was telling him, " Father, it wasn't right. What he did to you, it wasn't right."

"I believe in a loving God. And I believe his work is done by people like you, and you have so much more to do in France before you turn to England. You have already achieved the glory. Now do the good" Francis continued to speak with a hopeful smile on his face trying to get through to his father as Henry nodded his head in agreement placing his arm around Francis shoulder and replied, " Yes, of course. There are things to do in France first

❀❀❀❀

After arriving back at court from hunting, Francis made his way to his chambers he shared with his wife and called out happily, "Esme, I did it" the brunette frowned as she climbed out of her bed with struggle due to her baby bump, placing her hand on her stomach as she walked closer to her husband with furrowed brows and questioned, " what?"