𝟓𝟏

- Toy Soldiers

" we have a problem" Francis called out with an urgent huff as he stormed into his mothers chambers without being announced

" we have a problem" Francis called out with an urgent huff as he stormed into his mothers chambers without being announced. Much to his relief, Catherine was there speaking to one of her loyal guards as she dismissed him before turning to face her son with a look of confusion on her face, " Francis? What is the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost"

Francis sighed, throwing his arms out in exasperation as he made his way to stand on front of his mother. Catherine continued to frown, growing more worried by the second as she looked at her son in concern, " I have. It's father, he's gone utterly mad" Francis revealed with a grave tone. Catherine eyes widened as she ran her hand down her dress straightening it out as she sarcastically told him, " define 'utterly' because this is a man who's ridden a pig through the throne room in nothing but his under things"

"Mother, he is starting a war" Francis sighed heavily as he ran his hand down his face in frustration as he's tried everything to talk his father out of it but he won't listen to a word he's been saying, " He's attacking Calais" Catherine rolled her eyes at her husbands antics with a shake of her head and replied, " Oh, Francis. Your father, is that what he told you?" Francis shook his head narrowing his eyes at his mother and exclaimed, " it's all over his maps!"

Catherine sighed as she moved forward placing her hand on his arm in reassurance, " Darling, relax. I've taken General Laval into my confidence. He knows to do nothing without my approval" Francis groaned throwing his head back turning his head to look at his mother and informed, " General Laval has been dismissed. Brantome's in charge now" The Queen of France frowned in confusion as she stared at her son and curiously asked, " Who's Brantome?"

Francis raised his brows sending her a pointed look causing her to let out a gasp in realization as she began to pace the room, "Oh, yes, I forgot. He's the new one Henry brought in to replace Leval when he refused to rename the fifth army. God's Gauls. Don't worry Brantome's with us" Catherine assured her son as she turned to face him only for Francis to shake his head frantically as he remarked firmly, " All of these dismissed generals. I'm beginning to guess how Esme's and Mary's uncle knows so much. What will you do when father realizes your contravening all his orders?"

" Tomorrow he'll be invading the Spanish" Catherine told Francis with a knowing look on her face as she moved closer to her son so she was standing directly in front of him once again, " The next day the Dutch. When he starts remembering who's invaded yesterday, perhaps his wits will have returned and this whole nightmare will be over. Darling, Relax. If I left things to chance; we'd still be bowing to Queen Penelope. I promise, it's all under control"

Catherine placed her hand on his cheek sending him a small smile as she stoked the pad of her thumb against his cheek as he placed his hand on her arm with an concerned expression on his face for his people and his country putting his trust in his mother as he muttered under his breath, " For France's sake, I hope you're right"