twenty eight

He didn't know when he eventually fell asleep. For hours he tried to call you, but every single time just went to voicemail. He figured you were asleep, unlike him you weren't wide awake thinking about every single thing he could've done wrong in your relationship.

But he couldn't have been more wrong.

You didn't sleep. Once.

All night had been spent booking last minute flights to Los Angeles, and when you weren't on your laptop you were staring at the wall.

Nothing was in your head anymore. Unlike a few hours ago when every thought possible was running through your mind, you were now completely numb.

When Bucky assumed it was a reasonable time to leave him home and barge into someone else's, he done exactly that to Steve and Nats.

"Steve? Steve?" Bucky burst through the door.

Steve was at up at the breakfast bar of his kitchen with a mug of coffee, still in the clothes he slept in. Y'know, those classic Steve Rogers fluffy pyjamas.

"Buck?" Steve rubbed his eyes, not fully woken up, trying to work out why his best friend would be in his apartment this early in the morning.

"Y/N- Where's Y/N? I lost her, Steve. I lost her."

"What, what do you mean you lost her? Bucky what's going on?"

Bucky gripped the side of the side of the breakfast bar to steady himself.

"She- she called me last night, and broke up with me. But I can't loose her Steve, she's the best thing that ever happened to me-"

"Buck," Steve interrupted, "Just call her."

"I've been trying." He snapped, "All fucking night, she won't even open her damn door-"

Bucky was again interrupted, this time by Natasha, strolling into the kitchen, her baby bump beginning to show.

"Barnes, what do I owe the pleasure?" She asked as she poured a glass of orange juice.

"I can't say anything has been pleasurable about this visit." Bucky mumbled.

"What are you even doing here?"

"Talking to Steve, very important... Stuff." He muttered again.

"No I meant here as in New York."

"What do you mean?"

"She didn't tell you?"

"She broke up with me, Natasha." Buckys voice broke, "She called me in the middle of the night to tell me it's over, why would she tell me anything?"

"Bucky-" Nat looked at him, tears filled her eyes.

"I- I need her. I don't think I can live without her."

"Bucky she needs you." Nat explained, "Boys, I think you should sit down for this."

Bucky walked over to the breakfast bar and sat up next to Steve, taking Steve's bowl of cereal and spoon and eating it himself.

"Hey," Steve glared.

"Shut up, I'm depressed." Bucky muttered, filling his mouth with a spoonful of cereal.

Nat leaned on the counter, chewing slightly on her lip.

"You know about her Mom, right? ... And, how, uhm, ill she was?"

Buckys heart stopped.

"Oh my god." He jumped off of the seat, running back through the apartment to grab his coat.