CHAPTER 13: New Captain Who Dis

"*Scoff* How truly despicable." If it were any other 'human being', you'd be surprised, but this was Gueldre Poizot you were dealing with. Ugly shitstain doesn't even deserve to be crushed under my boots.

"Wow. That's quite a list. Embezzlement and selling national treasure-class magic items on the black market... smuggling dangerous magic potions from other countries... and abusing his own brigade members. Even without being a traitor, this guy's pitch-black. He might be a good fit for the Black Bulls because of that, actually..." Yami grumbled to himself.

"What are you going on about?" Jack griped.

"This is why he didn't want to have his memory read with Magic. But you didn't mention his worst crime. Kidnapping barrier mages... That's direct cooperation with the Eye of the Midnight Sun. At least now we know how they were able to invade the royal capital." Charlotte sneered at the trapped captain. However, out of the corner of her eye, she noticed how uncomfortable you were. She then felt her face heat up. Why am I thinking about comforting her at a time like this?!

"I wouldn't say that was the most important... I found the memories of him giving orders to eliminate families from the Forbidden and Common Realms quite horrendous." You clicked your tongue in disgust. Your captain, noticing your unease, gave your hand a light squeeze before releasing his hold and appearing as if nothing had happened. You gave him an appreciative grin. (Jealous Charlotte noises.)

"He was dazzled by rare magic items and made a deal with the terrorists... The fool." Nozel clicked his tongue.

"Well, unfortunately, he was like that sometimes." Yami blew out a line of smoke.

"The Eye of the Midnight Sun has probably killed the kidnapped barrier mages already." Marx said.

"Calling what they did 'killing' is an insult to the victims, and they've made their positions regarding murder clear." You piped up.

"... This is an unparalleled blunder! He was a knight, charged with protecting the citizens, and he sold them out and had them killed instead... In order to keep the citizens from growing uneasy, we won't make this matter public. However, to ensure this never happens again, check all your brigade members to make sure no one has ties to the enemy!" Julius commanded.

"Yes, Sir!"

"That is all. Go back immediately and investigate. Marx, continue handling the situation." Julius continued.

"Yes, Sir!" Marx saluted. Julius then directed his attention toward you.

"Oh, and (Name), can you please stay behind for a moment?"

"I suppose. Could you survive without me, Captain~?"

"I'll manage, my dear. But don't keep me waiting too long, if you can help it." Damn, a true power couple.

---

"What do you need from me, Karl?"

"*Sigh* That's not my name, Miss Kocho."

"And 'Miss' isn't the title I worked my ass off to procure, so I know how you feel~" You smiled dangerously at him.

"*Sweatdrop* R-Right." She's so scary!!

"Unlike any other Magic Knight you deal with, my time is actually valuable. What's the situation?"

"With your and Poizot's history, we thought it would be best to leave this task for you." You raised an eyebrow at this.

"Oh? Well, spit it out, I'm intrigued~"

"Will you help us choose the next Captain of the Purple Orcas?" He managed.