14

I have been trying for the last two days to take Emma trickle treating but Alena is not at all on board. She says it is scary for young children, expensive and it means that Emma is going to be exposed to too many sweets. Even when I tell her I will eat all the sweets she stays firm in her decision. 

Someone from the cheer team is throwing a party and Harriet and Spencer are going as Harlequin and the Joker and after much debate I convinced her to let me use her cheer outfit and I will go as something of a dead cheerleader. She didn't let me use her new costume, just last years but that is fine. Alena says she is not going. The topic comes up over a family dinner and my parents who for the last two weeks that Alena has been here have pretty much remained out of it. They allow her to make her own decisions and only make sure she has everything she needs. I know my dad, during one of her naps took her car to put petrol in, she kept insisting it was fine but he didn't want her to have to put petrol in. When they hear that she is not going, the step in. 

"Of course you have to go honey!" My mom says with a frown "We will look after Emma for you!" 

"No that is okay, I really-"

"Alena, you deserve to enjoy yourself for an evening, you girls have been working so hard at school, go and have fun and Emma will be fine here and if it makes you feel any better you can put her to bed before you go. "

Once more my parents convince her to do something for herself that she doesn't feel she deserves. So that leads us all, standing in front of a giant house, all dressed up. 

The cheerleading outfit of Harriet's is tight and uncomfortably revealing. But I draw comfort in knowing I will by no means be the most revealing outfit at the party. For one Alena's outfit is something of a seductress. Her tight red dress and devil horns leave nothing to imagination. 

When I first saw her outfit I think my mouth went dry with awe. I only managed to look away when Spencer hit my arm. I tug once more at the mini skirt causing Harriet to glance my way. 

"Stop fiddling."

Deja vu anyone? Sighing I comply and glancing to my side I catch Alena's eyes, her spark of amusement leaves me feeling a little breathless. 

"You are going to have to dance at this party, Harper, there is no volleyball here." Harriet is taunting me.

"There is always beer pong." I let my grin convince her that dancing is not the only option and I am determined to prove it.

"One day someone is going to make you dance!" Goading me at my lack of rhythm is her favourite past time. We can't all be good at everything, so bite me.

"Make?" My snort makes it clear that no one and nothing can make me do something I do not want to. Especially not dancing. Harriet moves to retort but Spencer beats her to it. 

"By that she means you will not be able to resist their charms in getting you to dance." His smirk matches Harriet's and I narrow my eyes at them. 

"Never!" I am not so sure when I turn and meet Alena's gaze once more and she merely winks, before shifting closer and softly muttering in my ear. Her honey caresses' succeeding over the cool air in being the first to give me goosebumps. 

"You won't dance with me then?" Is she teasing me? Her grin is lost to my sister and Spencer and so is her firm and get feather light hand that appears on my lower back, meeting the small slip of skin that is on display and casting ghosts of heat racketeering off down my spine. I suddenly feel like I have the energy to do anything, to cheer. 

"Lets just get into this damn party!" I growl, moving swiftly forward to ignore those three and their taunts, teasing and clear comradery for making my life difficult. The door opens and I am frozen because right on the other side stands Steve. I have been successful in avoiding him for days now. I think Spencer told him he needs to 'talk' to me which means that is has been harder than normal.