Chapter 7

A/N THIS SECTION AND SECTIONS AFTER THIS WILL HAVE 18+ CONTENT. PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE.

Annie took her cigarettes out of her back pocket. She had 6 left, one enough for everyone. She  took one out for herself and passed them to Grace. They pack made its way around the circle. Josh looked at the flipped-up cigarette.

"I can't take your lucky." Josh said, handing the pack back to Annie.

"Sure you can." Annie said, grabbing the cigarette out of the pack. "Just kiss it to pass the luck." She kissed the filter of the cigarette. Josh took it from her and kissed it himself.

Annie lit her cigarette and passed around her lighter. She laid back on the grass, thinking about what a crazy night she had experienced that day.  She heard the thump of Josh's head when it hit the ground.

"See that star right there?" He asked, pointing to the sky. "That's Sirius B. One day, hopefully during our lifetime it won't be visible anymore. It's ten thousand times dimmer than it's counterpart, Sirius A, which is right here."

"How can you tell?" Annie asked. "They look the same to me."

"Just a lot of nights staring at the stars." Josh answered. "It kinda helps ground me in the fact that I'm just a soul made of stardust placed in this life to make a difference."

"What kind of difference?"

"I don't know yet. Hopefully, it's with my music. Maybe it's with film. I'll find out one day." Josh said placing his hands on his chest.

Annie closed her eyes and took in the moment. She shifted her head to rest touching Josh's. She heard him sigh, maybe from relief, maybe from contentment.

11:30 PM

"Alright everyone. The nights almost over. We'll be putting this thing out in 15 minutes. Remember to drive safe, let us know if you need a ride home. Annie will let your car stay here overnight if you need." Pops announced.

Jake and Danny stood up. "I'm gonna go to bed" Jake said. Danny nodded. Sam and Grace were laughing. They'd obviously hit it off.

"I'm gonna go too." Sam said. Sam trotted off behind the other two boys.

"I'm headed home. Pops is gonna take me." Grace kicked Annie's leg, making sure she was alive.

"Let me know when you make it home" Annie leaned up on her elbows.

"Of course." Grace said.

"I don't want to leave." Josh laughed.

"Want to go inside? Probably just as comfortable." Annie suggested.

Annie stood and walked to Pops. "I'm going up to the house. See you in the morning?"

"Of course. I'll put the recycling on your back porch tonight and take it to the plant in the morning. "

"Thank you." Annie said, feeling a hand graze hers.

"No problem. Love you girl." Pops said.

"I love you too, Pops."

"And you, son. I want you to come with me for a second." Pops said, pulling Josh to his side.

Annie picked up a beer tab off of the ground and threw it in the recycling near her. She watched as Pops attempted to hand Josh something sneakily, but Annie saw the action. Pops patted his back and Josh came back to Annie.

"I like your dad." Josh said.

"Oh he's not my dad." She said walking toward the house. "He just feels like my dad. Takes care of me like a dad should."

Josh opened the front door and waved for Annie to go first. Annie bowed for thanks and then entered. She went to the kitchen and opened the kitchen cabinet that held her medicine.

"Do you smoke?" She asked.

"Uh...yeah." Josh answered.

Annie pulled down the black tray that held everything she needed. She sat legs crossed on the counter. She rolled a joint with the little machine she'd gotten for two dollars. It wasn't anything complicated. Just a piece of plastic with a piece of fabric on it. She lit it and passed it to Josh after taking a hit.

Josh took the joint and placed it in between his lips. He lifted himself on the counter as well. Annie watched as he took a hit. A little bit of smoke escaped his lips. He sucked it back in and held it for a second. He exhaled, blowing the smoke back into the air.

Annie took the joint back and pulled smoke into her mouth, not inhaling it. She drew Josh's face to hers. She blew the smoke into his mouth as he inhaled. She rested her forehead on his as he exhaled. He took the joint from her, drawing smoke into his mouth and pushing it past her lips. They did this a few more times until the joint was nothing but a nub. 

Annie dutted out the roach and placed the tray back in the cabinet from where it came. She hopped back on the counter and laid her head on Josh'a lap. "I can't be alone tonight."

"You won't be." Josh said.