Chapter 12

Josh walked in the house. "Annie?" He yelled.

"Bedroom!" She yelled back.

Josh walked up the stairs, taking his time to notice the pictures on the wall. Some of Annie and Grace. One of Annie and, who he presumed to be, Sam. She was smiling. She had her hand around his waist and he had his around her shoulder. They were in a sunflower field. "I'll take care of her. I swear."

"Hey pretty lady." Josh said entering the room. "And pretty lady." He added as he saw Grace laying on the bed with Annie.

Grace gave him a questioning look. "Did everything go okay?" She asked.

"Yeah. I found the right deodorant. But Sam didn't. He went to Walmart to get his."

"What store did you go to? The one by Millers Jewels?" She asked.

"Yeah. That one. The guy there was nice and helped me find it." Josh added.

"Great. I know your pit stink is very important." Grace said laughing.

Annie laughed. "What the fuck did I just experience or am I just too high?"

"You cheefed down without me?" Josh asked defensively, sitting on the bed next to Annie.

"Here. Have a hit." Grace said, handing Josh the pipe.

Josh took a hit and passed it back. "I'm excited to play tonight. Gonna be a good one."

"Tonight? You're not going to save the best show for last?" Annie asked, not knowing exactly  what she was asking.

"Nope. Tonight's special." Grace said. "It's international eat a cookie day!" She excitedly jumped of the bed and pulled open Annie's drawer for a package of Oreos.

Josh laid back next to Annie. "What's your ideal date?"

"Hmm. Probably a candlelight dinner next to the river." Annie answered. "What about you?"

"Dinner. Music. Sex." Josh said simply.

"Mine, if it matters, is dinner and a movie." Grace added.

A COUPLE HOURS LATER

Josh stood up, slapping his legs in the process. "I'm gonna go get dressed for tonight." He said, kissing Annie's forehead. "See you soon."

He trotted down the stairs as Sam walked up the porch. "Your keys are on the table!" He yelled.

Josh opened the door, taking the keys and setting them down. Shutting the door behind him. "Get everything?"

"Yeah." Sam answered. "Everything is down at the gazebo. I just need to set it up."

"And Jake texted Grace to keep Annie busy." Dan said.

"And the ring?" Josh asked as they walked down the hill.

"In my case." He said.

Josh sighed with relief. Things were falling into place.

8:00 PM

Josh adjusted the suit jacket. The left lapel was decorated with an embroidered burgundy and green floral motif. He slipped on his burgundy shoes. He had to admit to himself that he looked good.

He exited the changing area to face his band mates. Sam wore a red outfit. He couldn't exactly call it a suit because it only consisted of a deep red set of trousers and jacket. Jake wore a black pair of jeans with a black button down and black hat. Dan wore a pair of blue pants and white button down tucked into his pants. They all looked good.

Grace knocked on the door. Josh opened it. "I want to see your deodorant."

Jake made a face. "What?!"

"Come in." Josh said.

"That's what we called the ring." Annie said, sitting next to Jake.

Josh pulled out the ring Sam had retrieved from the case holding his bass. Josh was keeping it in his inside breast pocket. He opened the box.

"Damn Josh." Jake said.

"She'll love it." Grace said.

8:30 PM

Annie trotted down the hill to the already lit bonfire. The band and Grace were sitting on the makeshift stage, no doubt waiting for her. She got a wave from Pops. "You have a good night tonight okay?" He said.

Annie smiled. She reached the stage and Sam scooted over to make room for her next to Josh. "You look nice." Sam said.

"Thanks Sam!" Annie said cheerfully.

"Hands off boy. Mine." Josh said, playfully slapping Sam's arm.

Annie laughed and sat down. "You guys look...incredible. You definitely made me feel like I'm underdressed."

"We do this. We don't know what fashion is." Jake said laughing.

"I definitely do. For you guys, not so much." Dan said, getting up. He headed to his drum set.

"I guess it's that time." Josh said.

Annie and Grace hopped down and sat together on a nearby hay bale. They sipped a beer while the boys performed. Josh continually made eye contact with Annie, but a small crowd had gathered. Apparently their fans nearby had heard they were preforming and came to see them. He worked the crowd. Annie enjoyed seeing him in his element. He seemed to really enjoy singing to all of the people in the crowd.

"This next song goes out to two very special girls." Jake said through Josh's microphone. "Grace, let's keep this up. And Annie, thank you for making my brother happy."

Sam played a whimsical, yet romantic riff on the keyboard.

"Can you light my love..."

Annie was intoxicated by this song. Josh never once broke eye contact. He was singing directly to her. She swayed back and forth as tears came to her eyes.

"Annie you're-" Grace said.

"Josh is my human." She interrupted.

Grace smiled. "He is."