Chapter 11

Josh headed back to the bus with his twin, eager to have one more day with Annie. "She's perfect dude." He said.

"You're different. You're shy. Not a crackhead." Jake said as they trudged down the hill toward the bus.

"I know. She gives me a feeling in my gut. She's so beautiful." Josh rambled.

"Butterflies. I remember those." He said.

"I think I want to marry her."

"After one night?" Jake asked.

"When you know, you know." Josh shrugged.

"Congratulations dude. I'm happy for you." Jake said, opening the bus door. "You'll have to get her a ring."

"Aw fuck. I forgot about the formalities of it all." Josh said, facepalming.

"Of what?" Sam asked.

"He's gonna ask that girl from last night to marry him." Jake said.

"No way dude!" Sam said, hugging his older brother.

"I need help." Josh said. "Jake, can you have Grace figure out her ring size?"

Jake nodded.

"Sam, please help me figure out how to do this." He asked.

"Of course." Sammy said.

Danny kicked his feet up on the opposite couch. "There's a ring store down town. This bus isn't moving though."

"Annie has a car. I could say that I'm going to get deodorant or something." Josh frantically ran in his head for an excuse. "Danny has diarrhea and I need to get him pepto!"

"No." Dan laughed. "The deodorant was good enough. You actually do need it. Smell you from here."

Josh flipped off Dan.

"She wears a 7. Just happens to be the size most rings come in." Jake said.

"Well. I'm gonna change and then us three will go to Annie's to borrow the car. Jake, you keep her entertained with Grace."

Josh put on a pair of green cargo pants and a white sweat shirt and white Nikes. The three exited the bus and went up to Annie's door. Josh knocked. Grace answered the door. "You're really?"

"Yeah. I need to borrow her car to go 'get deodorant'. " Josh said with air quotes.

"Annie! Can Josh, Sam, and Dan borrow your car to go to CVS?" She yelled. "It's on the opposite side of town. Should give you some time."

"Keys are on the table by the door!" Annie yelled back.

Grace handed Josh the keys. "Pear or square cut." She winked.

Josh hopped in the drivers seat of the car, Sam in the passenger, and Dan in the back.

When they arrived at the jeweler, Josh got nervous. "What do I ask for?" He said, shutting off the ignition.

"Ask him for permission first." Dan said, pointing at Pops.

"Shit." Josh said, getting out of the car.

"Good morning Josh!" The old man greeted. "Is Annie's car running fine? It's about time I change the oil again for her."

"Yeah it's good. I actually wanted to ask you something." Josh said scratching his head.

"Well what is it son?" Pops ask, leaning his arm on his truck.

"Well, I know you're Annie's father-figure. I love her. I'd never want to hurt her. I would like to ask your permission to ask her to marry me." Josh nervously asked.

Pops smiled. "Well, I should've guessed by your location what the question would be. As for my answer, I have none. Annie is her own woman. I've watched her grow, grieve, and now meet someone who wants to make her his wife. All I can say is to take care of my girl for me." Pops said, patting Josh's shoulder.

"Thank you." Josh nodded.

"And I'm sure grace will hunt ya down if anything goes south." Pops said laughing and climbing into his truck.

"That she will." Josh said, turning back to the two in the car.

Josh opened the door to the jewelers store and held it for the party.

"Welcome in. How can I help you?" The salesman asked.

"I need a ring today." Sam said. "Pear, cushion, or square cut. Halo, preferred."

"Man knows what he needs. I'll gather some rings for you to look at." He said.

"I prefer cushion than square. Rounded edges have more soft vibes." Sam whispered to Josh.

The man came back with several rings. One stuck out the most to all three boys. A pear shaped center stone with two smaller clusters of three stones on each side. It was set in rose gold. The matching band faceted with more stones curved perfectly to match the point of the pear. "This one." They all said in unison.

The salesman smiled. "Good choice. My girlfriend wants something similar. Your partner will be very happy."

Josh smiled. "I hope so."

"Would you like a bag?" The salesman asked.

"No thank you. I'm asking her tonight. Don't want to kill a tree for a few hours of carrying."

"My luck and congratulations to you, sir." The man said.

Josh, Sam, and Dan left the shop. Sam drove to the local general store. They all went in to grab a few things to make their excuse seem more likely.

Sam pulled the car back into Annie's driveway. "Let me take the ring. You having it will ruin things with...all this." Sam gestured at Josh.

Josh handed him the little black felt box. "How am I doing this?"

"Privately. Tonight after our performance. Take her to that gazebo." Sam said, pointing to the small wooden structure. "I'll go get some candles and flowers and set it up."

"What will I wear?" Josh asked.

"Your tan suit and brown shoes with those beads." Dan said. "I'll record it from those bushes. I'll charge the camera."

"We'll all dress up. But to ask, just be honest. Tell her your feelings." Sam said.

Josh got out of the car and Sam drove off. He took a deep breath. He'd have to lie to Annie for a few hours. The only time he ever would.