Chapter Six

YN was sitting with T'Challa outside of the castle, having just had a tour by the king himself. YN looked out toward the horizon, the sun just meeting it, casting an orange glow over the scenery.

"You have a beautiful country, your majesty." YN commented, smiling as the last bit of sunlight warmed her face.

"YN, please, call me T'Challa. A friend of the captain is a friend of mine." YN frowned.

"Thank you, T'Challa. But Steve and I are anything but friends." She said, shaking her head.

"Oh? My apologies, I just assumed." YN smiled at the man. "So, how long have you known Sam?"

YN smiled fondly. "Since I was eleven," she said wistfully, memories of her childhood fogging her brain. "He was best friends with my late brother."

"My condolences," the king said, patting her shoulder, earning a smile of gratification in return. "And how long have you been together?"

YN laughed. "Oh, no. No, that's not-" YN laughed again, louder this time. "We aren't together."

"I apologize again, you two seem quite close." YN nodded.

"He's like a brother to me." YN said, looking at her twisted fingers. "We tried dating in the last year of high school, before he graduated. We were together for about a year- I'm sorry, you probably don't care to hear about all of this." She muttered, her cheeks going red in embarrassment.

"Please, YN. I have the afternoon free. I would love to hear it." T'Challa said, smiling down at the young woman.

"Um... Okay." She mumbled, smiling softly. "We dated for about a year, he graduated with my brother and we saw each other every day. But it was just weird. We weren't... romantic? I mean I was attracted to him, don't get me wrong, the man was and still is a hunk..." Blushing she looked up. "Uh, sorry..." T'Challa waved her off, stifling a laugh. "Anyway, we agreed that we were better as friends, family even." YN shrugged. "The pet names just never wore off after we split, but now it's just... pure, platonic love."

T'Challa nodded, letting his smile take over his face. "You have a very special bond. One only made through shared experience." YN nodded, fiddling with her fingers.

YN told the story of her brother's death, and how Sam was there to witness it. T'Challa rubbed her back gently as she got herself worked up, the action giving her something to focus on. "I got home three weeks later, no one told me anything whilst I was away on mission." YN sighed. "Sam ended up telling me in Riley's room. We both cried and Sam stayed with me for weeks. He was the only thing that stopped me from..." YN trailed off, T'Challa taking the hint and letting it go.

"You are a very strong woman, Miss King." YN blushed looking down.

"Thank you." She whispered, smiling brightly. The king lifting her chin and smiling at her.

"Hey, YN!" Sam called, making the blushing woman turn from T'Challa's heated gaze, he was giving her a look that was making her insides melt.

"Sam, uh hey. What's up?" Sam looked between YN and the king, eyebrows furrowed.

"Can I borrow you for a moment?" YN nodded, looking back to T'Challa with a smile.

"Excuse me." She murmured, T'Challa nodded and watching her walk toward the other man. "Sammy, what can I do for ya?"

"Is the King of Wakanda hitting on you?" YN balked, eyes going especially large.

"What?" She laughed. "No. No way, as if." She giggled.