Part 27: Late 19th Century Romanticism

You stood at the edge of an unfinished railroad, overlooking a ravine full of trees and greenery. Marty was right, there was no bridge in sight.

You held on to the top of your hat as you leaned over the edge. A low whistle came from between your lips as you struggled to see the bottom.

"Well, we can scratch that idea," Marty said, taking your hand and leading you off the tracks. "We can't wait a year and a half for this to get finished."

You didn't counter his statement, too busy adoring the fact that you were holding Marty's hand again after so long. You almost forgot how nice it felt.

"Marty, it's perfect! You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally," Doc said, jogging to catch up with you both.

"Right, right, I have a real problem with that," Marty spoke sarcastically. Most likely an inside joke you weren't around to be aware of.

Doc walked on Marty's left while you were on his right, leaning forward slightly to acknowledge the Doc.

"Don't you see? The bridge will exist in 1985. It's safe and still in use," Doc skipped along towards the horses. You sped up your movements, pulling Marty in tow.

"Therefore, as long as we get the DeLorean up to eighty-eight miles an hour before we hit the edge of the ravine, we'll instantaneously arrive at a point in time where the bridge is completed!"

You made it to the two horses and Marty helped you on, climbing on right after and moving to wrap his arms around your waist.

"We'll have track under us and coast safely across the ravine," Doc finished his explanation, hopping onto his horse. 

"What about the locomotive?" Marty asked.

"It'll be a spectacular wreck. To bad no one will be around to see it."

As if on cue, a sound of a woman screaming could be heard from the distance, making you all snap your heads in its direction.

"Doc!" You pointed up the hill.

"Help me! Help!" 

A woman was riding on a carriage that seemed to be out of control and headed straight toward the edge of the ravine.

"Great Scott!" the Doc set off in a hurry. 

"Hiyah!" You quickly followed. The sudden movement made Marty yelp and hug you tighter. 

You sped up as Doc did, leaning forward to steady yourself. Marty's grip only tightened as he buried his face in the back of your jacket. 

The Doc was right on the lady's tail.

Seeing as he had the situation under control, you slowed down a bit, finally able to breathe when Marty loosened his grip.

Doc managed to catch up, letting the lady jump into his arms in time as the carriage split from the horses and crashed into the ravine. 

Your horse came to a stop behind the Doc's and you winced. 

The carriage crashed into the rocks and papers scattered everywhere.

"Oh, thank you, sir," the lady panted, reaching up to move her hat from her eyes. "You saved my..." she trailed off as their eyes met. "Life."

Doc took his hat off. "Emmett Brown, at your service, miss-..."

"Um, um..." The lady looked down and her hat fell over her eyes again. She hurriedly fixed it and smiled at the Doc. "Clayton. Clara Clayton."

Your eyes widened and you reached behind you to aggressively hit Marty in the shoulder, only to hit him in the face. "Ow!" He hissed.